What do you do for your childs first b-day?

I have an 8 month old daughter. I have been thinking about her 1st b-day party and what to do. The thing is, our family is kind of starting fresh, meaning there is not that many of us. Just my mom, sister her son ( 3 ) and her guy friend, as well as me, my DH and our DS ( 6 ). I feel horrible that we really don't know anyone else with kids to invite to her 1st b-day. How many kids will be or have been at your child's 1st birthday?

jaysmommy04

Asked by jaysmommy04 at 4:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's first birthday party was really small. We had it at a nice park nearby and just invited some family and friends who had kids around his age. There was probably only like 5 or 6 kids at his party but I think it went well and it was nice. It wasn't too overwhelming for him.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 5:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• For my daughters first bday I threw her a small family party *consisted of me, her father, step sister, gma, papa, great grandma, and aunt* and we cooked out and let the day be all about her. Let her play outside, play in a kid pool (her bday is in July) and just made it a family get together. It was very calm, personal and was really nice. I personally don't know why people go all out for their childs very first birthday when the child doesn't know what is going on or even really remembers it. It is mainly for the parents I think.
    nicole195

Answer by nicole195 at 7:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• When my daughter turned 1 we had a family get together! It was very fun! She loved it!

raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 7:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We kept the first birthday simple as the child doesn't really get it yet. I feel it is more for the adults when the child is one and even two. Have a cake, maybe some balloons, and have a camera ready. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• for my daughter's 1st it was really simple considering i went back and forth about it and i really couldn;t afford to do anything big. so i had it at my grandmother's apartment. it was my nephews, my brother, my aunt, my little cousin, her husband, and my grandmother. my parents were at home. so then we had a cake and some balloons and pizza. then i came back on her real birthday took her out for pictures and we went out for dinner. it was small and sweet and we had a great time. she is 2 now and the 2nd birthday was a little bigger. small and sweet is the way to go.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We didn't have kids. They're not old enough to make friends yet, anyway. It's for the parents more than anything. So we just had close family and friends at our home for cake and ice cream and took lots of pictures. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thanks everyone! IDK why I was so worried about her feelings getting hurt, lol. She won't even know whats going on. I think I will go with the small, get together idea's. Maybe get a kiddie pool and let her splash around.
    jaysmommy04

Comment by jaysmommy04 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011