How much freedom does your tween have?

Is s/ he allowed to walk around town ? Hang out with friends, walk to friends houses?

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 8:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Walk around our neighborhood: yes, walk to friends' houses: yes if in the neighborhood, walk to town: not yet
    We're very free range. My 8, 9 and 10 year olds are allowed to roam all over our little subdivision. The streets go in loops and there's a park in the middle (which is down the street from us through this path between 2 houses). They go all over. This summer I might teach them how to get to the ice cream place which is outside of our little "loop" area but still in our subdivision. It's about 1/2 mile away. Some of their friends can already walk down there so maybe they can all go together (my oldest will be 11 this summer).
    Yesterday the 10yo and 8yo took their baby brother (8mo) for a walk tot he park along with some of their friends (who were 7, 8/9 and 11).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My kids are to that point yet. But I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be allowed to do those things. I mean, they'll have cell phones if I need to get a hold of them. Unless they get in to trouble, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We live in a really small town, so yes my children can walk to their friends houses and walk around town. In the summer they walk to the pool or the park on their own with friends. If I lived in a bigger city I may reconsider, but with only 1800 people here and pretty much everyone knows my boys, and they pretty much know everyone I don't worry too much.
    The rules are you answer your phone when I call, if you go to a new location you call, if you won't meet curfew you call.
    I've never had any problems at least not yet.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• No and no. We live in the country so we dont have houses near each other. And in town is also far so lol.

Answer by gemgem at 8:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• haha thats how my brother is, towns 6 miles away! We live in town, so my boy does get to walk to friends houses & hang out with his friends around town, hes really good about calling & letting me know what they are doing-where they are at.
    Mrs_Harsh

Comment by Mrs_Harsh (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Well I am more paranoid I went through a bad divorce and had a parental abduction of my tween. I know I am more paranoid because of that. My dhs friends are alot more free with their tweens though. My son thankfully understands why I am how I am and can usually laugh it off.

Answer by gemgem at 8:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• none
    he has moderate autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My daughter is 11 and is not allowed to walk around town, but can hang out with friends. We usually have the friends here and she likes it that way. I don't let her go to friends' houses if I don't know the parents and a few she isn't allowed to go to their houses after I have gotten to know the parents.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• he can walk to a friends house - AFTER i speak to a parent ensuring they are home and agree with the visit - and ONLY if he doesn't have to cross one of our "major streets"
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I allow my dd to go over her friends houses which is down the street but only after I have confirmed it with her friends parents. She can't hop on a bus or the train to go down town but she can walk to the little mini stores around the way as long as she's with someone.
    Shagara03

Answer by Shagara03 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2011