Do i need a passport?

I just recently met a new man and just when we really started getting serious about each other he was sent to africa by the company he works for. he want me and my son to come and live with him over there and i'm really thinking about going. so my question is do i need a passport to go to africa?

dansmom87

Asked by dansmom87 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Travel

• Yes, you'll need a passport book. The only time you don't need a passport would be for traveling in the US. You could get a passport card if you were going to Canada or South America (by car only), but since you said Africa, you need a book.

Be aware though, that if you don't have sole physical and legal custody of your son, the father will need to sign a consent for the passport (either the actual application, or if he is states away, he would need to sign the consent form and have it notarized).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes, and check out the laws for that country depending on length of stay you and your son may need visas as well.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes, if you leave the country you have citizenship in you need a passport.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would think you would need a Visa of some sort to take up residence there... We are talking longer than a short visit right?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes, you need a passport and you also have to go to your Dr. & get the proper vaccinations for travel to Africa. If you have only known this man for a short time & wan't to go, I would first go for a visit WITHOUT my child for a week or two, just to make sure everything is as yu imagined & is good & safe. GL & be careful.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• yu = you (sp) sorry
    ILovemyPaulie

• Yes-any international traveling, you need a passport.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You do need a passport and you may need vaccines for you and your child as well. I would notify your doctor of where you will be visiting and have you and your son seen before you go.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2011