Eating us out of house and home lol

First off I have 3 boys and I know my 2 older boys (now 17 and 18) ate alot and still do because, they are boys. My son is 11 and here on weekends and oh man he eats more than they do. I told my husband I am going to have to get a second on the house just to feed him lol. Anyway I dont know what I am going to do. He is always hungry. We can make food for all of us, and he can eat twice the serving of my other boys and my husband. Any ideas on how to fill him up?

Asked by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Pancakes YUM (haven't had my breafast yet) lol. My nephew eats all the time too and when we have him I can't afford it! 2 boxes of hamburger helper would feed my family of 4 (2 boys, dh and me) with leftovers! My nephew comes and MY boys are still hungry because he eats so much (and he is getting overweight)...the last view times we had him I made up the plates for dinner and didn't put the whole meal on the table for self service as usual. Having only water or milk with the meal helped fill him up. I always have a salad, and veggies too - and he used to not put thosee on his plate.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Start making really inexpensive recipes on the weekends when he is there. Pasta is cheap and filling, breakfast for dinner is really inexpensive (pancakes from scratch cost next to nothing), soups and stews are pretty inexpensive and you can make a huge quanitity.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• had to chime in again :) maybe he is eating more at your house because he is getting delicious, nutrious, homecooked meals.....
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Always have a side dish of pasta with whatever else you're making.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Is he a really active child, involved in some sport for instance? I don't think I'd try to "fill him up", mainly because if you eat until you feel full, then the next time you need to eat more to obtain that full feeling and that's where weight can become a real issue, especially if the person is not a really really active person or doesn't have a high metabolism rate. Try having plenty of healthy, non-fattening snacks on hand that he can munch between meals. It'll keep him fueled while not adding weight to the equation.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• He isnt that active. Like I said he lives with his dad and I dont agree with how dad does things (alot of electronic babysitting). He doesnt give him snacks either. So when my son eats he eats 3 meals a day and they are huge. I try to get snacks in him. We dont eat junk here though which is another issue, dad does. I dont want him to feel starved at my house, but I know he probably thinks what we eat sucks because its alot of veggies, fruit, popcorn for a "bad snack", and what not.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Have a set amount that they all get at each meal. And that's it for that meal. We had a limit at each meal of what our portion was. We had plenty of food but no one was allowed to eat tons more than others. Have healthy snacks available for in between meals. Make sure he is active and participating in all the things you do as a family so he doesn't focus on food all the time. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Aww thanks brypmom lol, maybe you are right!

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Give him a big cup of water or milk to drink before he eats, He will eat less because his stomach is fuller. I feel you on the being eaten out of house & home, my sons 12 skinny as a rail and a bottomless pit, then you have all his friends here eating. I have to buy in bulk if i had to shop at a regular store i would be broke every week lol.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011