I breastfeed and drink 1/2 a cup of coffee EVERY day... is that bad?

Peaceful_Turtle

Asked by Peaceful_Turtle at 1:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes.

Caffeine is very bad...even a small amount.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Drink your morning coffee right after you do your first feed or pump. Then it has some time to metabolize in your system and your baby won't suffer the effects. My OB and my ped recommended that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I don't think it's any worse then drinking coffee while pregnant and my doctor told me a cup a day wouldn't hurt me.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• 1/2 cup- do you mean half a mug or cup. For coffee, I think the measurement for a cup is like 6 oz. I don't think 3 oz would hurt the baby. But if you're drinking from a 24oz mug, I'd prolly wait to have coffee until after you breastfeed in the morning.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Its only bad if the baby doesnt handle the caffine. BF'ing and pregnancy are different and the caffine gets filtered out of your milk faster and more then out of your bloodstream. Its the same as with taking some medicines that were off limits while preg and not while breastfeeding.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 5:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• It's fine as long as you see that it doesn't affect your baby. Us moms need coffee!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008