What should I have done?

Last night at the baseball game, I brought a bag full of snacks (like I always do). We sat next to this family. My son had brought a few action figures and his Leapster. I guess the son in this family ask if he could sit next to my son. The family switched sits and before the game started, both of their children we sitting closest to my son and playing together. When my son got hungry, I pulled out some snacks. The other children were looking at them longingly and I had extras, so I shared. Towards the end of the game, my finace said that he was sure I had made the other parents feel bad because I had offered them several different snacks and my son had all of these toys... I didn't know what to say. I certainly didn't take any food or items to keep my son entertained to impress the people we sat next to at the game. I only shared with the children, because I always think it is rude to eat in front of someone and not offer to share. The mother of the children told me, "Thank you," when I shared. I can understand that they may not have been able to afford a lot of snacks (we certainly aren't made of money...that is why I bring snacks), but I'm not sure what I could have done to make the situation better. I was having a great time and was so glad my son made some little friends until my balloon got popped. What do you think? What would you have done if you were me? How would you have felt if you were her?

trentonsmommie

Asked by trentonsmommie at 9:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's very nice of you to share. When our kids were younger we packed snacks and always shared with others. Imagine how those kids would have felt watching your son and not being shared with. I think your fiance is over reacting on this one.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• i too share or offer to share. I have often forgotten snacks and had days were we just didn't have a dollar to spare for snacks so it was always appreciated if someone offered to share theirs with my children....who by the way were taught not to be greedy about it.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would have done just as you did. And I have done that in the past. Moms share all the time. I would not have felt bad if my kids were offered a snack from someone (with my permission) and I would maybe bring some myself next time. Do as you have always done
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think you did the right thing. I doubt you made them feel bad about money ... I know I have forgotten snacks and felt like a bad mom because I was ill prepared and then (you) supermom has snacks! If anything I suffered from a little guilt for not thinking ahead lol...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think men are very sensitive to "what he can provide" and how this may have made the other parents feel as "providers" to their children. I think women are very practical when it comes to this...we obviously had plenty of snacks and the kids were having so much fun together. It just hurt my feelings that anyone would think that I was trying to "one up" anyone or "impress" anyone with 'how many bags of 99 cent chips I could bring'.
    trentonsmommie

Comment by trentonsmommie (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• you di the right thing, and mybe you may have gave those paretns an idea to bring stuff next time! GO MOM!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would have done the same thing. Usually when I bring snack, I bring extra as a just in case. There have been several times I have taken my girls to the park, gave them their snack, and other kids that are playing there just look at me to where you can tell they want one. I have had other parents share with my girls and from the other side I feel greatful and always thank them.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think there was only one time that a mom made me feel bad for having a duh moment and forgetting to bring snacks. I was in the pedi office with my oldest and she was hungry and I knew if I left to go to the vending machine our name would get called. I explained that ti my daughter. A mother sitting in front of me turned around and handed my daughter a cracker and said to her, next time mommy shouldn't forget the snacks, huh? I was irrate! I kept my mouth shut though.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• @amber1330 - I would have been furious too! In that instance, it wasn't the sharing, it was the sh***y comment! I would NEVER say that to another Momma...our job is hard enough!
    trentonsmommie

Comment by trentonsmommie (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The only thing I would have done (and maybe you did this..) is ask the parents if it was okay for the kids to have the snacks. Some parents don't like their kids eating certain foods or like their kids taking food from strangers so I would have checked with the parents before offering it to the kids.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2011