crib bumper

my daugter is 7 months, can i put the bumper in or leave it out?

rOEY802

Asked by rOEY802 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • They say you shouldn't use bumpers in cribs. I always did and just checked it every night to make sure it was securely tied in place. I just couldn't stand the thought of their little heads pressed up against the hard wood of the crib sides.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• If she's standing and the mattress doesn't go down low enough so that she is able to climb onto the bumper and possibly climb out of the crib then I would leave it out. Otherwise I'd leave it in. They say its a suffocation risk but I'm sure your baby is able to turn her head away by now. My son is only 4 months and the bumper is in his crib. He never sleeps anywhere near it and I'm more concerned with him bumping his head on the slats than I am with him suffocating himself in the bumper.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I had to ask the ped about this with my son b/c he was so skinny his legs would get stuck between the rails. He said at the time (4 years ago) that as long as it was cloth, as most are) and couldn't be used as a prop that we could and in my sons case should leave it in. Just make sure it is tied on tight and the strings secure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I wouldn't even bother with it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2008