Need great dinner ideas for busy teens

I have always cooked our Mon-Thur meals and we have had the traditional family dinners. But it is getting harder to do that with all the sports. Do you have any good meal ideas for those crazy nights when you cant actually all sit down together>?

I have two nights like that this week... the first crazy night Im making calzones. I figure they can put two on their plate and sit at the breakfast bar. But I could use some other ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have more then teens in sports and have awhile so this is a norm in our household. First of all something that helped us was I changed dinner time. It used to be around 6-7pm but I adjusted it so we ate around 4pm. That gave us time to eat together. When we got home they were welcome to left overs or a sandwich. Other times I make Quesadillas, Hamburgers, Ramen stir fry, Chicken Tenders, and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 10:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would cook enough of one of the meals on the nights you do cook so that they can have leftovers on the "rush" nights.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• cool a big pot of goulash, they could have salad / toast with butter on the side. goulash is cheap and easy to make.

a big pot of stew

buy a couple loaves of bread and make a batch of tuna sandwiches with soup of your choice on the side.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Cook and freeze meals on the weekends, like chili.

Use a slow cooker.

Cook pasta the night before, cook and freeze sauce on the weekends

Cook rice the night before, make a stir fry with cut, frozen veggies and cubed tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I too cook M-Th, but our schedules are getting hectic, especially in the spring with sports! On Mondays when I have class and aren't home, we plan meals that my 14 year old dd (who loves to cook) can make for the rest of the family so they can at least sit together and eat. Now that sports are in the pic (and jobs...the kids work now and aren't home), we just continue with making dinner and who is home gets to eat. It doesn't help that dh is sometimes late. We just do the best we can and make it work.

Taco meat works, everybody can make a soft taco when they get home. Chili or stews, just grab a bowl when you're home. Pasta dishes, like rigatoni, baked mostaccioli, etc. could work, just leave in the oven on warm.  Most often, who's home eats and a left over container is made for the person who's coming in later, then they just re-heat and eat.

Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• my kids love tater tot casserole and turkey wraps both quick and easy
    carellidkag

Answer by carellidkag at 8:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• OK, you asked for it.
    Corn Dogs, everyone can do their own anytime they want. Microwave Mac-n-Cheese. Chilli in a crock pot with Frito bags on the side. Cooked veggie pasta separated into serving sizes and frozen in freezer bags. You can throw in meat if you want but they can easily be microwaved or boiled in a jiffy by even a young teen.
    Sandwiches, Hot Pockets, Mini-frozen Pizzas, Readily Available Salad Wraps. Just have containers of favorite mixes in the fridge like ham and shredded cheese, or chicken with salad.
    Then there are the drink meals, you can make shakes and/or slurries during the day time that can act like a fun quick meal at night. Add a bit of powdered oatmeal or wheat germ and trust me, it does make a meal.
    There are also breakfast options. make a pancake wrap with sausage, eggs, bacon, or even hash and potatoes as a filler. Freeze and kids can reheat at will. Or a bowl of oatmeal, with some fresh berries.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 2:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• eww
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• sorry i have no advice
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:43 AM on May. 26, 2011