Friend that needs help

I have a friend that has just started back to school. She has three older kids and a one year old. The one year old just started day care just recently. Well they are have noticed that their daughter who is the one year old wants nothing to do with her dad. She is always wanting my friend to hold her and when her daddy comes home from work she screams and cries. This is really upsetting my friends husband. I told her it was separation anxiety. What can they do to help her out??

CherBear2529

Asked by CherBear2529 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does mom drop her off at daycare? If she does could the baby be scared that mom is going to leave her and that's why she is so clingy??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Awww poor guy. He needs to just not get upset and spend some quality time together with Mommy and baby more. To stay sweet and loving. Talk a lot to Mom when the baby is with her. The toddler will come around. I think you are right separation anxiety. It will take the toddler up to 6 weeks to adjust to the change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• @skittles1108: yes, my friend drops her off most of the time..

CherBear2529

Comment by CherBear2529 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Aww how heartbreaking for daddy! It's tough babies don't care about huting people's feelings. They have no tact lol
    The dad needs to know that it's a phase and this, too, shall pass. Who knows, next she might start shunning Mom in favor of him! It happened to me
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree with nicole. All my children have gone through this phase, but on the same coin, a little girl we babysit only wants my DH to hold her.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My kids went through that, too. With my second, when he started with that, I made more of an effort to have Dad caretake more. That seemed to help.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• your friend just has to leave her with him as much as posssible.. Like all of you guys in the same room.. (everybody). then one leaves at a time but dad, after all the kids have left one at a time then mom leaves, leaving 2yr old & dad. then dad starts playing away from her with her toys to where she notices.. then dad invites her to play
    masonbunch

Answer by masonbunch at 1:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I don't trust any daycare so my first instinct would be to check out the daycare, but it could be that the baby just misses mommy. dad can try and find time to spend daddy daughter time.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• that would be heartbreaking to any dad; as Kimberly said check out the daycare; and that your baby just misses you; try some one on one time with just her and dad
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2011