Is there abad age or a good age to potty train?

I mean like to young or to old? The reason I ask is because I have 2 girls that were trained pretty early. My oldest was potty trained at 19 months (fully) and my youngest was potty trained at 21 months (fully). My youngest was staying and has stayed dry at bedtime since 12 months old. She was nearly fully potty trained at 16 months, but she got really sick with rotavirus so we had to stop for a while since she was throwing up 2 days nad had diarehea for 3 weeks from it. Well suprisingly I actually miss changing diapers lol. I am pregnant with our 3rd now and it is another girl. I started training about 13 months with youngest and about 18 months with my oldest, but this one might be our last so I don't know that I want to start training that early this time around. Is that wrong? Just like I had problems nuring my first baby she wouldn't latch on when brought home (and noone showed me what to do) with my second I was in so much pain after she was born from the epidural and I was in the ER when she was 3 days old so from getting formula (since I didn't have anything pumped yet) she wouldn't latch on and I dried up I even want to (if this time works) nurse this one as long as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• When they are ready is usually the best time.... lol. All kids are diff. Some train earlier than others and some are harder than others. It all depends on the child. If they are showing signs that they are ready then ya go ahead, but if not, there's no reason to push earlier than is needed. Congrats and good luck!!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• when I worked at a daycare...most of the 2 yr olds were not potty trained and only like half the 3 yr olds were

I wouldn't say there is a specific age- it is just when they are ready
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• well my 2 girls I started training before they showed signs and after they started they loved it and so it was easy with them so I was going to wait until the baby showed me that she is ready herself this time around just because I miss my other 2 in diapers lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd say you were about right. Boys take a little longer, but my eldest (a girl) was fully potty trained by 18 months. My boys both were @ 2 & 2 1/2 (was sooner, but had huge emotional trauma do deal with, and he regressed).
    It irritates me to no end when I see a 4/5 year old child still crapping their pants- by 2 they understand how to use the toilet, and when to. No excuse for it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I understand that one. I remember my dh's cousins dd they didn't think was going to be able to go to kindergarden because she was still in diapers at 5, but right before she started school she was potty trained. I remember being over there for christmas they taking her in another room to change her diaper (she pooped) and she was screaming because she sat in it so long that it hurt. I think the reason it took so long though is because well they said the doctor said they had problems because she started to early. She started 12 months. But I think it was because her mom didn't do it at all just her grandma so when she went to her grandmas she would do it (her grandma babysat her), but they wouldn't do it at home. Then if she had even just a cold they would put her back in a diaper until she got better and when they didn't feel like doing it they would put her in a diaper
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• @ ObbyDobbie: My son was 4-4 1/2 when he was finally potty trained. We started at 2 like the daycare pushed for. He had 2 major life changes in that time and regressed both times. So, yes, sometimes there IS a reason/excuse for a much older child to not be potty trained.

@ Anonymous (OP): It really depends on the child. My son took 2 years to to potty train and we started him at 2 years old. My daughter took 2 weeks to potty train and we started her at 3 years old.

Joanna Cole has a good potty training book: My Big Girl Potty It covers all the stages of potty training and has a couple pages of tips and tricks in the back for ideas. She's also written My Big Boy Potty.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2011