Do you use Jenny O- Turkey?

Jennie-O recalls nearly 55,000 pounds of frozen ground turkey
April 2nd, 2011
10:42 PM EThttp://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/02/turkey.burgers.recalled/index.html#

Jennie-O Turkey Store is recalling nearly 55,00 pounds of frozen, raw turkey burgers that may be contaminated with Salmonella, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Saturday.

The recall pertains to packages of "All Natural Turkey Burgers with seasonings Lean White Meat" with a "use by" date of December 23, 2011, the FSIS said on its website.

View label of the affected product (PDF)

The ground turkey, which comes in 4-pound boxes containing 12 patties, is sold exclusively at Sam's Club, Jennie-O said on its recall website.

Consumers who have purchased the product should not consume it. They can return it to a Sam’s Club store for a full refund, Jennie-O said.

An investigation of a Salmonella outbreak in 10 states found three people in Colorado, Ohio, and Wisconsin reported eating the Jennie-O ground turkey before they became ill, leading the FSIS to determine there is a link between the product and the outbreak, the agency said on its website.

The last of these illnesses was reported on March 14, 2011.

Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly, and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy. The most common symptoms of the illness caused by eating food contaminated with Salmonella are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever, according to the FSIS. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Doesn't COOKING it correctly and fully kill the salmonella bacteria?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• maybe, I live on the stuff.. I don't eat red meat.

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• ... I love it!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Nope, I don't. But thanks for the heads up.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Good info, thanks!
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• thanks. I know I have purchased the ground Jenny O when its on sale and put it in the freezer for later. Never tried the patties though. I will bump you
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Quit buying Jenni-O. Someone in the house always ends up sick after eating the product.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yeah, i eat it. I had some about a month ago. I'm alive & well. I guess i won't buy it for a while though...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:26 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I don't buy it, but thanks for posting so others are aware! Here's a bump! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• No, I use Butterball and....some other brand that I can't think of right now.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2011