Prop it?

Do you think its ok to prop a 4 month old babies bottle if they cant hold it yet? What if you stay in the room?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't. All the baby books, web sites, etc. say not to.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I do. I always watch him to make sure he doesn't choke on it but he never has. Sometimes I just need a free hand and I know I have a good 15-20 minutes while he's taking a bottle. He's 4 months as well.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You really shouldn't. It can cause them to choke. Besides, why miss out on the great time of cuddling and nurturing. They grow up so fast, soon you'll miss it.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I'll do it once in a while if I'm in a huge hurry and he's really hungry but I wouldn't make a habit of it. It could cause choking but whats even more important is that feeding time is bonding time. That is the time when your baby is developing it's trust for you. You want to make sure your baby knows he can count on you. I live in WA and that is one thing licensed sitters are not allowed to do.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• We prop our 4 month old's bottle, he has it held between his hands but doesn't realize yet that letting go = no more food. he sits in his boppy or his high chair (it reclines a little bit) and he's always in the room with one of us. He likes to eat this way at dinner since he sits next to our dining room table while we eat!
    Actually, he prefers to eat alone now. when my sis or mom tries to feed him while holding him he thrashes around like crazy! or only eats a few ounces.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 2:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Please don't prop it. That is bonding time with your baby.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Its just lazy to prop a bottle, a child should be held to be fed, feeding should be a bonding time whether you are nursing or bottlefeeding. Even when my son got bottles when I was at work he was held to get them. I was a FFer once too and I know how much easier it is to prop a bottle, BUT I realize now this is why BFing moms generally look at FFers as being lazy, because many times we are...propping bottles is LAZY.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You should be holding your baby for every feeding. PLEASE don't prop the bottle! Your baby needs all of that holding and contact for essential brain development. Babies from institutions who were never or rarely held literally have holes in their brains (my friend's little girl from Romaina was part of a study on this). Of course this is the extreme case, but why not set yourself up for the OTHER extreme, being held lots and lots, and always when given a bottle?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I've done it and sometimes I still do even though my baby is 8 months old. He can hold it but he drops it a lot and then screams, even when I'm doing housework. I hate and I always watch him, but usually he tries to hold it. He held the bottle at 3 months old, but never got a good grip on it. Now he's learning to hold it and put it in his mouth off and on. Bottle proping is not bad as long as you watch your baby and if they baby starts coughing then pull it out and start holding it. The baby feels better that mommy is around.
    Anonymous