To thos that have weanedom nuring already. How old was your little one when you stopped?

I am pregnant with our 3rd and probably last baby. I so regreat not nuring my other 2, but my oldest when we came home from the hospital she wouldn't do it and instead of working with her I gave up and dh went out and bought a can of formula (noone told me what to do or showed me how to nurse not even a nurse at the hospital). Well, with my youngest I nursed for the first 2 weeks, but see I had a problem with the epidural that had me unable to nurse her a couple times in the hospital (i had to have a blood patch), then I came home went to the ER the next day and had another blood patch I had nothing pumped so she had to have formula when I went to the ER and when I couldn't feed in the hospital so 2 weeks I started drying up and she wouldn't latch on. Well this time around I want to nurse nomatter how much I have to work with baby to latch on. I told DH no matter how much I want him to go out and buy formula to not do it so I will continue breastfeeding. If all works well I want to nurse as long as possible, but I don't want to get weird comments for doing so. So what is the right age? How old is to old? Noone showed me what to do with my youngest either. So this time I am going to ask for help. I think the reason I dried up though was because one they sent me home drinking a lot of caffine for my headaches and i heard you can dry up from that. I got addicted to it when I left that, that was all I drank when I came home. Then I was on at least 2 or 3 diffrent pain meds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I nursed my first for 7 months and almost 9 w/ my 2nd
    Nurse for however long you are able and it's comfortable for you. Everyone is different, but let me give you some tips
    The 1st 2 or 3 wks are the hardest. You both are learning and your breasts are engorged which can make latching difficult. Manually express some milk before you try to nurse to make your breast a little softer.
    Sore cracked nipples won't last forever! For the 1st 2 weeks with my 2nd it really hurt. Lanolin helps and I've head coconut oil helps, too. Both are edibble so you don't have to worry aout bay sucking it off.
    Babies go through growth spurts where they will want to nurse WAY more than you're used to. As long as you offer the breast as much as they want it your milk supply will catch up. It may seem as if they aren' getting enough but as long as they are till peeing and pooping, you are fine! A lot of women panic when this happens. Don't.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It really depends on you and your baby/child. I've known some moms that have nursed their children until they were 4. I've known some moms that didn't nurse at all. Both of my children weaned themselves at 9 months old.

I think, if you want to completely avoid formula, try nursing until at least 12 months old. Then you can switch to whole milk until 2 years old. Whole milk is recommended for children under 2 because of the fat content. Their brains are still forming and the extra fat helps that formation.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• we nursed for 20mo.. i started weaning slowly at 18mo.. It takes time to learn to bf. u & baby both are learning. but once u get over that it is so easy! there are some great bf groups on cm that can answer your questions. or u can find them in the forums.
    Nicole already said alot of what i would say. offer the breast alot :) and stay positive.
    I stuck thru it by saying "just keep going for 1 wk".. then i would see we had progressed. and think "only another week we can make it".. until 1 day i seen we nursed with no problems. it was such a great feeling!
    good luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I kept running out of character space lol so I didn't have room to say:
    Best of luck! PM me if you have any ?s about BF
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• thanks for the tips nicoles2lilrams
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2011