:( My son with ADHD hurts my CAT...

I'm a wreck right now. Now and then my 5 year old (who has a learning disabilities, as well as ADHD) hurts my 10 month old cat. It's never really bad, just little things. But it's scaring me. I'm calling childrens monday morning and asking for a referal for a childrens psychologist. Has anyone else experienced this? This is more intense than a young boy just being a young boy. Also it is not happening out of jealousy, the acts of violence are extremely random. Also, please only serious, kind answers. Thankyou.
PS: My cat is like my other child, so I will not get rid of her. He loves her dearly, also. Its like something will randomly just come over him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• hugs.... I think you are doing the right thing by your son.

BUT... you need to get rid of the cat... you need to find a home where the cat is safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I have no advice for you other than what you are already doing (child psychologist), but I'm so sorry for you! That would be hard for me to deal with as well. I hope you can find some answers and prevent anything from happening further.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I don't think it's the ADHD that is causing your child to hurt the cat. I think seeing a child psychologist is a good thing, but I agree, you should get rid of the cat.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I understand. But I love her dearly, and we live in a very very small apartment, so she is usually safe becsause my son is always by me. I'm going to see what the a psychologist suggests about my cat, bc maybe there will be a effective solution :) Im trying my best to stay positive! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I am so sorry, I am sure you will help your son get the help he needs. The last poster is correct however, if you love the kitty, you will have to foster it out or find it a new home. It is not fair to terrorize it.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My son has adhd too he is 7 and he used to lovemy parents cats but he also use to kick them or hit them nd a couple of times he sat on them so i had to tell him would you like someone to d it to you and he said no so i told him he hurts them when he does that and he started crying and started telling the cats he was sorry and i havent had a problem since
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• When my son was a baby we had three cats, we took them from a former coworker that was moving and didn't want them. Those three cats came to us declawed in the front. When he was about 18 months old he thought it was fun to grab their tails and go running all over the house that way. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I had to do, but those cats had to go, for their own safety. One cat we got rid of earlier for pooping in his room all the time. We took that one to a local city shelter that advertised they were no kill. They lied. The other two we took to a different place that gave me the option of reclaiming the cats if they were not adopted. Those two were rehomed in about a month.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thats good they got good homes. :) Pets deserve the best!! And i CANNOT believe that shelter LIED to you!! What jerks! :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Is the child also bipolar, or does he have other impulsive outbursts?? random acts of violence suggest that he may have another problem. I am glad you r so observant and do not just allow ur son to abuse the cat, some would not see it as a problem, but if a child is having impulse problems around animals, it also may become a problem at school with other children.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 12:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Exactly. Thats why I am trying to get him help now, so his future may be brighter. And yoyr very right, some parents dont care. My cat is like my other child. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2011