School calls.....

My step son has ADHD and PDD. He is in a special class for behavior. I got a call from the principal saying that I need to come get him. He was on a defiance kick for an hour and a half by the time I got to school. I guess my question is there others out there that are in my same situation? Any suggestions?

smileynikki712

Asked by smileynikki712 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Health

• No...my kids can drive me crazy at home some days but are totally different in school.

I honestly think you should check your stepsons diet, i really think the dyes in the food cause that behavior. (red 40, yellow 5). If you want to know...check what he is eating (read the labels) and see if he eats things with these in them and if it changes his behavior.

Good Luck!
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thankfully I have only had to go pick my DS up form school one time. I think the biggest thing for us is to make sure he is well rested and prepared for the day. He has a visual schedule he goes by and if anything is going to be different his teacher know to tell him the day before or at min. first thing in the morning. I would try to narrow down what causes the issues. It took us a year or more to figure out schedule changes and lack of rest caused my DS to have really bad days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My son has ASD and I have had to pick him up from school 2x now due to 'melt-downs from Hell' and defiant behavior. He is seeing a therapist and is on medication, and that has really helped with his behaviors. When the 'incicents' happened I did figure out what caused them and now know how to avoid some of it from happening again. === like make sure he has enough sleep the night before, that his morning routine is not altered or disturbed, that he has everything ready (the night before) for the next day.....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2011