Medicine and breastfeeding?

i am planning on breastfeeding my baby when he/she is born but right now im taking 25mg of promthazine because in so nauses all the time i dont keep much down i havent gained any weight since ive been preganut though im only 3months but ive lost about 5-10lbs so far which ive been told is normal so im not to worried bout it..my ? is will this medicine be stored in my breastmilk? it kinda worries me beacuse on the labels it says do not use if ur breastfeeding!!! have anyof you taken this b4?

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Most meds say they're not to be taken... only as "cover your ass." Promethazine is OK. It CAN interfere with supply later on. But not unsafe for baby.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~HBkGjX:1

The toxnet site is your go-to resource for meds and breastfeeding; not your doc and absolutely not the package inserts. My prenatals had a warning that they weren't to be taken by PREGNANT WOMEN!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• If you aren't taking it when you breastfeed, it will have passed through your system before your milk even comes in. A lot can happen in 6 months! You might not even need it in a few mon
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• ths.
    Izsarejman

• Ask the Dr I took a lot of meds after my son was born b/c I was sick but I could still breast feed just ask ur Dr they will know if its ok to breast feed most meds what say do not take when breast feeding its still ok to only a little gets in ur breast milk
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 12:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• your doctor should be able to explain if its going to be safe or if your going to be stll taking the meds... take to him/her about your conserns.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 2:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2011