My dd now has the most expensive paper weight ever

Ok long story short my fil (who we dont speak to) bought my dd a laptop for Christmas. My dh and I said she shouldnt have it, but my mil (divorced from fil) accepted the gift on behalf of my dd and brought it over and had dd open it before I could get to it and return it to walmart (which was our plan). We were going to return it for something more age appropriate & kid friendly. We thought maybe a Kinect or what have you. Anyway that didnt happen.
Now here we are in early April. She dropped it. The LCD screen is now broken. I just called and they wont repair it if she broke it. I have to pay $99 and shipping fees to get it fixed. I am so pissed. I called my mil and told her what happened. She says she is going to pay to have it fixed. If she doesnt I am just going to leave it.
What would you do?

Asked by gemgem at 12:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take your MIL up on her offer. Then only let your DD use it at a desk. Just because it is a laptop doesn't mean you have to cart it all over the house, especially if you've dropped it in the past. Believe it or not, she'll need it for school sooner than later.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would have her pay to fix it and then sell it and get your daughter something more age approiate like you wanted to in the first place. Also, I would talk with you MIL and let her know that from now expensive gifts like this must go through you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Same as you...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Where are you paying $99?
    My laptop screen has been broken and I can't find anywhere less than 300!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Nicole throufh Acer. I called them and they gave me the address to their repair center. They said to send it in. If its determined we broke it (and she did) then they repair it for $99, plus shipping of course.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I am not sure how old your daughter is...but I have a 4 & 5 year old who have a laptop to use. They play learning games and will go do playhousedisney.com kidswb.com and another childrens site. That is all they use it for and we limit their time on it.
    My son who is 4 can do basic addition without using his fingers. Not sure if he's just lucky like that (his dad, grandpa and great uncle) are also good in math, so maybe it's just a given...or maybe he learned it from the computer.

I think if you monitor what they are doing on the computer, it will be a great learning tool. They also use computers in some schools.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Mines in Kinder and she uses all those sites too. We have 4 computers so getting on a computer is not an issue. Having her own to me at this time just seemed excessive. Dont get me wrong, it is handy when we go on trips or something, but she didnt NEED one when she was 5 when she could use mine, her dads, or either of the kid computers we already had. Her grandfather simply did not want her to share with my kids from a previous marriage.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd do the same as you. I don't want my kids to have their own laptop yet either. My oldest is 8. I don't mind if she uses mine, though, as long as she is respectful of the fact that it's mine and doesn't mess it up. My oldest 2 also use the computer at my MIL's house- she watches them and only lets them go to pbs kids.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would have just put the thing on a shelf on not let her play with it until she was old enough to be responsible. My dad has gotten all 3 of my older kids Nintendo DSs over the years. They are only allowed to play them when they have been behaving. Most of the time they are hidden in my room (sometimes for months at a time). If he had gotten them a laptop it would have been put up. We have a computer, they have no need for their own laptops. They aren't even allowed to be on the computer.
    If your mil is going to fix it let her and either leave it at her house for your dd to use while she's there or put it up until she's older.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2011