22,000 Branches of Christianity??

I'm reading a book about Christianity, it's history, the differences between denominations and so on. And one of the first things it says is that there are an estimated 22,000 branches of Christianity, with 270 new denominations being created each year...

Do you think that's about accurate? I honestly never would have thought it was that high...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sure it accurate, especially if they count something like United Methodist and Free Methodist as different, Southern Baptist, Free Will Baptist etc., as all different instead of the same "Methodist" or "Baptist" because even those denominations have some significant differences.

Cnml4

Answer by Cnml4 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Wow! I never would have thought it was that high either. Of coarse, I think most statistics or a joke though. What book?
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I believe it. And probably none are celebrating the true meaning of the teachings of Christ. There are too many perversions of the truth to celebrate the teachings appropriately.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I can easily believe that...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• When was the book written?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• everyone of them is after money but they do it in the name of the "lord". church/religion is a business.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I was reading about differences between them a bit yesterday! I knew there were a lot, but had no idea there were this many...are there that many actual different denominations? wow
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• That seems like an AWFUL lot, but I agree with the first poster who said they may be counting even the different groups within each denomination, like General Baptists, Southern Baptists, etc. WOW, that amazes me.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Not surprised at all.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think they do count each individual branch. Look at this list of different denominations I found (which it says is not a complete list) and you'll get an idea of why there are so many. 

Cnml4

Answer by Cnml4 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2011