Am I the only one that's tired of contacting companies for help with their product or merchandise, and tech support seem like they're reading from a script?

I'm on line with a company now and he seems like he's reading a manual. His answers seem scripted. Almost like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Technology

• You are defnitely NO ALONE ON THIS. Once I determine they are 'script readers' I ask to be conectected to someone who is capable of making decisions. My latest experience was DELL computers who in my opinion are the worst! Good Luck, and don't give up.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• NO, you are not alone. My computer had a virus last week and I was on with McAfee and Dell and neither of them could help. I finally called a friend who I knew was computer savy and he told me exactly what to do and it worked perfectly and within 3 hours I was up and running again.
    KoffeeKrazy

Answer by KoffeeKrazy at 9:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You are not alone, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Most tech support is completely clueless. Ridiculous.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 1:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Here's the problem though... if you've ever worked for a call center, you know... You have to meet certain criteria on your call because you are constantly being QA'd. That's the problem. So, yes, unless you say each and every detail, you will get knocked down and you could get fired eventually. When I worked for Charter, I typed up a list of things I had to say... even if they yelled and screamed at me... I had to say each and every thing. Sucks.. doesn't it!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'm on with Kodak now and gave him all vital information (ip addresses, subnet info, etc). Only to have him ask me again for the information. And now he has to research it. :\
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Sorry I know thats annoying but he probably is reading from a script. I used to work for a cell company and we had steps to do when something broke or there was a problem. It doesn't necissarily mean he doesn't know what he's doing, he's doing what his boss told him to do most likely. But I do agree that a lot of them sound like their being tourtured into saying it lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• So, yes, it seems they are reading from a script, but they actually have to say so much stuff on their call when they answer the phone. Ugh... And working for Charter from a call center, you only have so much information made available to you. You can only do so much from your screen. You feel completely stupid and helpless, because... well they want you to be that way.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• danni, that's because he keeps going into different screens to find the information. He probably gets booted out of one and loses his information. It's not that he's stupid, he just has to search for the information, or even who to transfer your call too.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It's just ridiculous that that's what companies call customer service. They need to find a better way for their employees to communicate with people. That way the rep isn't getting an earful because it's the company policy in answering our questions the way that they do. Thank goodness I'm just typing and not actually on the phone. My voice would have definitely changed by now. I'm going on an hour w/ him.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• No m-avi, I'm not calling him stupid. By all means, I'm not. I've been online with them for an hour and nothing. They just need a new way to resolve problems.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2011