18 mo old toddler and sleep

So my son usually wakes up at 7 am. He will take a nap around 12 and sleep til 2 and then I put him to bed around8-9 pm. The last two days he has been waking up at 4am wide eyed and bushy tailed ready to go. I asked family for advice and they suggested putting a sippy cup in the crib with him. That to me sounds like a horrible habit to start. So I am hoping someone else on here may have better advice. Also he is currently cutting the last of his teeth. But this wake up isnt the same as "My teeth are hurting so Im gonna scream my head off" wake up.

JenniferQ24

Asked by JenniferQ24 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh Idk if this may be relavent but he use to nap twice a day. 10-12 and then 3-5. Then bed at 9:30. His schedule is both parent a baby led. He ditched the second nap about a month ago.
    JenniferQ24

Comment by JenniferQ24 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• not sure.. i'm going through the same thing but with my 10month old.. good luck!
    masonbunch

Answer by masonbunch at 1:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Your ten month old is probaly hitting a growth spurt and is hungry. Give him a bottle and he'll go right back to LaLa land. That or he is teething. I used Hylands teething tablets at night with my son and orajel during the day.
    JenniferQ24

Comment by JenniferQ24 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• shorten his nap to an hour or hour and a half and don't let him nap after 2 PM that helped with my son and he sleeps through the night
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2011