Why does "different" behaviour almost alway lead to autism?

I think this is becoming the new 'diagnosis' to explain a lot of bad parenting, unwillingness to dicipline and excusing bad behaviour. When I was in school there were plenty of "different" kids, kids that had trouble making friends, kids that caused classroom disruptions. I know autisim exsists, I hav a cousin who is TRUELY autistic, but just because your kid is behind in a few milestones or isnt popular in school doesnt make them autistic...just like in the '90's...everyone had add...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I KNOW that if I had been born today, I'd have been totally drugged...I was a HYSTERIC Child...(my poor mother)...but I'm very creative and have had an incredible life. I think people are way too fast to judge kids as "problem" kids.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 4:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I get what you are saying, but you must understand that the Autistic spectrum is VERY broad. You don't have to be the Rainmaker to be "truly" autistic. Because we know more about it there are more diagnosis, not because we want to blame a medical condition for "different" behavior.
    Althoug ITA with you about ADD/ADHD
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• While I agree that autism is a very popular diagnosis, as PP stated, it is a spectrum disorder. It covers a broad range of symptoms. I attribute this to better understanding.

My one son is autistic. He rocks and hand flaps and does not make eye contact, yet I have had idiotic, ignorant people say that he can't be truly autistic because he has speech skills, granted he is almost 12 and has the functional speech of a 5 year old, but apparently, that's enough for some to say he's not 'truly autistic'.

'truly autistic' can mean many things.

There is a saying--"If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism." You know your cousin, you do not know every other child. They very well could be 'truly autistic' too.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• They don't make an autism diagnosis easily,actually you have to force one out of the doctors.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I know exactly where your coming from.... Dr. get lazy and many parents want to appease an overworked teacher. My daughter was labeled ADHD. She actually had a sleep disorder and a teacher who wanted her K to "sit down and shut up". My DD NEVER shuts up, it's her personality.

That said, my cousins son has high functioning Autism. It's about the way his brain does or does not work. She spent years getting a clear diagnosis and is satisfied that that answer is it.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Understand where you coming from. Disciplining a child takes a lot effort.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• my friends daughter, she is 11, totally spoiled, only child, parents split and try to outdo each other on everything, very demanding little girl who has always gotten her own way, had no learning difficulties......moved into middle school...tried her arrogant behaviour there with new kids, didnt work, started getting bullied...BAM! She now has Asperger's...hmmmm, I say BS... I agree, i remembr when my son started kg, he never weent to daycare so his teacher had him labled ADD and hyperactive in 2 weeks...he wasnt, she was just too quick to "diagnose"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• sorta - it is the new hot diagnosis... without a doubt
    at the same time i was one of the kids who went undiagnosed because i didnt cause problems and that isnt good either.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• With the exception of truly non-functioning children, I do think too many children have been diagnosed with too many disorders and given drugs to make it easier for the parents.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes our medical system is quicker to diagnose and drug, however there is an increase. My sons developmental teacher and I were just speaking on this. She has noticed an increase in children with delays, and other issues like sensory issues.

I wouldn't be quick to judge. My brother was one of those quirky kids. Plenty of people blamed him and my mom. He needed more discipline, he needed more structure. Now finally in his late teens he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. My 5 yr old may seem like an unruly child when he has meltdowns in the store. Its not me being a lazy parent in the discipline department. He has sever speech delays and over-stimulation becomes overwhelming for him, and he starts crying. We have worked really hard to get him to where he is today.

I'm just saying, that there may be things going on that you don't see or know about. And autism is not that easily diagnosed.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011