Do you think a parent should control every aspect of their child's life?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 2:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no. a child has to at some point learn to figure things out for himself. although, a little guidance goes a long way into rearing a self-thinking, fully-realized adult.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• To what age are we talking here? I would say yes until they are around five or six. I mean, if you don't, and they are definitely too young to know right from wrong, they are incapable of making it on their own... Otherwise, all kids could go out, get a job and make their own living, right?? After they enter school, you have to start letting them make some decisions on their own.... but again, you are the parent.. it is your job and your responsibility to be there for them and make sure they are making the right decisions... otherwise, again.... But, parenting is tough... it's not for wimps. Like it or not, you are definitely a parent for the rest of your life.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It would be crazy even to try! Children need their independance, even as toddlers, to hone problem solving skills, social skills, and to take pride in their accomplishments. And once they reach school age those skills come into play and the amount of control you truly have diminishes even more. The best you can do is to arm your children with knowledge and tools so they can go into the world confidently on their own. If you control every little thing, they will be unprepared for the rude wakening they are likely to get when Mommy isn't holding their hand anymore.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Not at all. They need to learn.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Only in infancy. Then they start learning things on their own.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Only up to a certain age. That can be determined by yourself adn child.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• No, but they should be aware of every aspect of their lives.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• To a certain extent and age yes, as they get older, you need to start letting go slowly so they can learn for themselves.

Answer by older at 2:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• For the first several years, yes. I think a parent should control what a child is exposed to, who has access to them, who they play with, what books they read, what toys they play with, what shows (if any) they are allowed to watch, what technology they use, how their room is decorated, what kind of music they listen to, what art they view, etc.

Parents are responsible for shaping their children's lives for the best. I don't believe in protecting a child too much physically ("don't run so fast!" "Don't climb on that!") - kids need some independence, and they need to fall down, brush themselves off, and continue on their way. And I don't direct their play unless they ask me to play with them or they get too mean (as kids can).

When I think of the enormous responsibility I have toward my children, I can't believe the music I listened to in the car when they were 1 & 2 - my 4 yr. old son sings "Centerfold" by J. Geil's Band!
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 2:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Well if I didn't my 6 year old would make some poor choices,, LOL! I think of course not when they can tell right from wrong and have a good sense of themselves,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011