What do I need to look for in a twin size mattress for my toddler?

Right now she's in a toddler bed with her crib mattress. We're expecting another baby in November, so at some point toward the end of the summer we'd like to transition her to a twin size bed so we can put the crib mattress back in the crib for the baby.
When picking a crib mattress, I knew what to look for. But for a twin size mattress for a 3 year old? I have no idea. Do I need to look for firm, or plush? Certain number of coils? Do twin mattresses have the steel edge support like crib mattresses do? How much should I expect to spend on a decent twin mattress?

Please help! I have no idea what to look for, and we have a fairly tight budget. Most of the twin mattresses I've seen online cost $400 or more, and that seems like a lot to me since the crib mattress only cost us around $80.

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I just bought one for my Son who is 4 from Bob's Furniture for $125. Don't buy firm, since the child is going from the crib mattress and they are softer. Any mattress is fine as long as it's not too hard. I would also suggest a waterproof mattress pad for it in case of accidents, I got a nice one from Walmart for $16. He loves his new bed. I also got another waterproof pad (not fitted) crib size length to put right under the fitted sheet so in case of a night accident, I just remove that pad & the fitted sheet and not the big mattress pad. Less to wash.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I spent $200 on a twin size mattress for my son at Big Lots. It's a Serta...not a hard mattress by any means (those super cheap ones you can get are SO stiff). Be sure to get a mattress cover just in case of accidents or you can kiss the nice, new mattress good-bye. Once they're peed on they stink forever.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Just depends on your budget and how much you really want to spend. You might consider getting a day bed so you can eliminate the cost of the box spring.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My 2 y/o has a captains bed that doesn't need a box spring/ We bought the bed for 300 dollars and it has a storage system under it and the mattress for $99 at Big Lots.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My kids are all sleeping on mattresses that cost under $100. They're not cheap either, nothing special but not junk. Went to a local furniture store and found good deals.
    Anonymous

• I got the eco friendly twin mattress from ababy.com. I wanted something that is soft but also has a breathable cloth and is washable. The mattresses could vary in price depending on the cushioning and cloth you select for it. Some of the twin mattresses are too soft, avoid those. Usually twin mattresses for babies are not too hard, but check before you purchase.

lydiasinger

Answer by lydiasinger at 5:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2011