The right formula

hey. I am breastfeeding now,but within 6 months planning formula feed. I was wondering what is the differencebetween similac,enfamil, nestle and parents choice formula? Which one is the best? Are they all the same? Why they priced diferently then? My little girl in one month old now and she has a lot of gas. Which formula to try and which brand is very good?

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i personally use Nestle Good Start Gentle Plus because it breaks down the proteins for the baby and makes it easier on there lil tummy's so that they avoid less spit up, fussiness, and gas but that's also because my hospital also started my first son on this formula and i loved it and even though i did partial breastfeeding with my second son i went right back to the same formula i used with my first son because it worked so good
    i hope this helps but i honestly don't know much about the other ones
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• i agree with the above good start is awesome
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree with proudmommy...the trick is to not switch around.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The only difference in them is the name and the price. The FDA is so strict on the formula and guidelines of the formula that the different brands can't substitute for cheaper and less nutrition in the ingredients. With my first I didn't know this and bought the most expensive thinking it was better. With my second I used Similac and was very happy with it and will more than likely use it again with my third in June. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'm not sure about the differences. The only thing I can recommend is getting a nutritional breakdown via each company's website. Personally, we used Similac with no iron (liquid) for the first 6 months and switched to the regular formula from Similac afterwards. We even used powder occasionally but it was nowhere as nice as the liquid. Better for travel though.

Good luck finding the right product for your little one.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The nurses in the labor and delivery at the hospital where I delivered said this to me--Either Similac or Enfamil is fine. They do not recommend Good Start, nor do they recommend the generic. I actually looked at the generic and discovered that there were less vitamins and mineral in them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I personally prefer Goodstart. I used it after breastfeeding my DD & it was the most gentle on her tummy.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Similac advance Liquid.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• ALL of them are fine... if baby takes it! That is the primary issue you need to consider. Baby might not be willing...or might be. Baby might refuse Parent's Choice but take only the most expensive variety of Enfamil.

Get samples from your ped before making any changes.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The main ingredients are the same in all, but the fillers are different (which is obvious when you note that some have different textures and mix differently). Because of that, there is a difference in taste and can be a difference in reaction. My first didn't do well with anything except Enfamil and GoodStart, while a friend's baby would only take Similac. It's really up to the baby. I would suggest trying a cheaper store brand first, so if your baby takes it you don't have to shell out as much money. But don't switch around all the time, it's hard on baby's digestive system; once you find one that you and baby are satisfied with, stick with it, don't get something else one week just because it's on sale and then switch back.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011