Stretch Marks?

I am 28 weeks pregnant on tuesday. In the beginning I didnt really feel the need to use any lotions or anything because I just kept putting it off. My thighs got way bigger than they were before and now have a bunch of stretch marks. I dont mind them there because noone is really going to see my thighs that far up, however, after seeing them appear and all I realized I shouldnt have put it off. The main place I really want to avoid getting stretch marks is my belly. I use Palmers Coco Butter Lotion with the pregnant lady on the front of it on my belly after every shower, and at night in bed I use the Palmers Tummy Butter with a pregnant lady on the cap of it on my belly as well. I dont have any stretch marks on my belly yet, but I want to make sure they dont appear. My friend said she has extra bio oil because she just had her second child and she said it worked amazingly for her. I am just wondering if anyone else has any input on using bio oil, palmers lotion, or anything else to prevent stretch marks.

And please, I really don't want to hear the BS about stretch marks being genetic, I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Stretch marks have to do with your skin and the elasticity of it, not wether your mom got them or not.

All I am asking is for people's opinions on stuff that worked for them, not negative comments about how nothing will work. Thank you :]

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 2:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• cocoa butter
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Lotion and coco butter don't really prevent stretch marks. It's just an individual thing- some people get them, some people don't.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Your DNA determines if you get stretch marks or not. NOTHING will make them go away short of plastic surgery. You can only help by keeping the skin moisturized and try not to gain to much weight. They will fade greatly over time and with weight loss. Mederma is good for them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I have 3 kids.. Not one stretch mark and I didn't do jack to my skin with any of them.. Sorry.....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Chances are if you got them on your thighs, you're probably going to get them on your stomach too. I never had any luck with lotions, creams, or oils myself, but I didn't get a whole lot of stretch marks either.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I used cocoa butter..... It worked for me. GL! And congrats!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I used jergens ultra-healing every morning and night on my boobs, stomach, thighs, and butt while I was pregnant and never got one stretch mark. My mom and sister never got stretch marks either, so who knows if I missed getting stretch marks because of genes or lotion.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 3:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The elasticity of your skin is determined by DNA right? And you get your DNA from.... your mom and dad! So genetics do play a role! However...
    The bes way to prevent stretch marks is to gain weight steadily. Rapid weight gain in a short period is a sure way to get them.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Keep hydrated, lots of water will keep the skin moist, Try not to use too hot of water in bath of shower it strips the natural oils. Keep up with the moisturizers, Bio oil will help with the ones your already have too. Oh and slow weight gain, but as we know with pregnancy that is not always easy. I had very few up until I start retaining water.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• And please, I really don't want to hear the BS about stretch marks being genetic, I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Stretch marks have to do with your skin and the elasticity of it, not wether your mom got them or not.

The elasticity of your skin has to do with your genetics....lol.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011