The Business of Being Born

All I have to say is if you are pregnant, watch this documentary. I am blown away and honestly 10 times more comfortable and happy with my decision to have a homebirth! Amazing film!

psylees_mommy

Asked by psylees_mommy at 3:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Child birth is a NATURAL process and a hospital is NOT necessary unless the Mom to be has a health condition that might cause problems with the birth. Women have been giving birth at home for thousands of years, and the human race is still here and doing fine. You can literally save THOUSANDS of out of pocket expenses if you dont have health insurance with a home birth. Mid wives and Doula's and every bit as qualified to help a Mom to be as an RN is.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree 10,000% with you vbruno!!!!!!!
    psylees_mommy

Comment by psylees_mommy (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I know right? For 99% of labor and delivery in a hospital you ONLY see the Nurse and the Dr only comes in for the last 1% of the birth or less. But that Dr will charge you big bucks for the 5 minutes or less he spends delivering the baby.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I love The Business of Being Born! I don't even think that just pregnant women should watch it, I think anyone who wants to be a parent someday (or have another child), male or female, should watch it. I usually recommend it along with Ina May Gaskin's books. People really need to be educated about birth in general, not just take what their OB/GYN (AKA their SURGEON) tells them. There's a lot of information out there, people need to utilize it before making decisions or following their doctor's "advice."
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I see your point but I personally would be to scared, I dont know. Just the knowing that theres a doctor for my baby and me in case its needed makes me more calm.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• ANYone who knows someone planning to become a parent or wants to themselves can watch it and come away with something.

We can & should birth where we feel most comfortable.
    If that is in the hospital, *why* do we think it's "safer" --how can we be sure??
    * * * If we do opt for that setting, what we will do to ensure the safest possible experience? * * *
    Please don't assume that Your Fate is In Their Hands~ women own their birth experiences and are responsible for what happens. Allowing staff to take over means they are likely putting convenience over safety somewhere if not in several places.

Knowledge is power (ignorance is bliss).

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• *Love* The Business Of Being Born
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Great documentary! I recommend it to everyone!!
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2011