Does your kid know what to do in an emergency?

I walk with my boys all over the place when the weatheris nice. Yesterday we were walking home and my ds said he didn't want me to get run over because he wouldn't know the way home! It got me thinking... what would happen if, God forbid, I got hurt and couldn't take care of my boys while we were out and about? They are only 5 and 1.
I told him that if anything ever happend he should stay right by me, not wander away, and STAY WITH HIS BROTHER until a policeman came.
And then what? he asked me and I had to laugh.
I told him the police officer would take him home to daddy. And he told me that an ambulance would take me to the doctor to get fixed :)
Do your young kids know what to do in an emergency? What have you taught them?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We talk about different senarios all the time, but in a real emergency- who knows?!?!? Hopefully he would be able to make a smart choice!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My son only knows at home he should call 911 but nothing has been said to him about what happens if the emergency occurs outside the home. I am thinking of taking him to some of the open houses at the fire and police dept so he can learn nore tips
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I told them to call 911 in an emergency
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We taught them 911 and their names and addresses as soon as they could master that. We also had a meeting place to go to if there ever was a fire in the house. The fire department regularly tells families to have a meeting place outside if there ever is a fire.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• They know about calling 911 and have their address and phone numbers memorized. This is a good question, it should be discussed with every child!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, we have taught them to call 911.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• yes my oldest son knows what to do; I am diabetic so he knows what to do in any situation regarding this and also knows what to do in other situations
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011