Does this happen to anyone?

I've been divorced for 4 1/2 years. My x still drives me crazy in a bad way. He always gets under my skin one way or another and I don't know how to keep him from doing this. His latest thing. He had my son call me and ask if he can get a snake. I hear my x in the background laughing as I also hear my son being sad and very dissappointed that my answer was no. I got really upset and my x swears that he wasn't sad he was just disappointed. I told him that I didn't see the humor in it. What kind of person thinks his son's disappointment is funny? How do I deal with this kind of stuff. We got into a fight a few weeks ago about how he won't pay half for his sons karate lessons but he's willing to take him when ever he has him. He told me that according to his other friends that he's more available than they are and I should be happy about this. Of course I was angry and I should have told him that he should be proud that he's one step above the dead beat dads. Is there anyone else out there that has this problem? How do you deal with it?

amotherof1

Asked by amotherof1 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know but for the snake thing I would have said "Sure! As long as it stays at Dad's house." Flip it around on him.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I did tell my son that his dad would have to get him one since I hate snakes. But before my son goes to his dads wednesday I'll tell him that he can get a snake as long as his dad keeps it for him. Thanks.
    amotherof1

Comment by amotherof1 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Sounds like something my ex would do. We go through things like that all the time, and sadly there is nothing you can do.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Oh I feel your pain. I have to do all the driving or they don't go to ballet or scouts, even when she has them...

As to how to deal with those phone calls, try this "Hun, we'll talk about it when you get home." By the time he gets home, if he was simply put up to it and really has no deep down desire to have a snake, he'll have forgotten all about it. If not, at least you will be there to comfort him...also, you can put it back on your ex..."Sure, hun, as long as your father keeps it there and maintains it"...
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 4:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011