How do I tell my SIL that her kids is rude?

My nephew has been an only child for 4 years, he has a little sister now, but whenever he sleep over at my house he acts like he is the boss of my kids. He has two different game systems at his gma's house which is where they live and he plays all the time. We have a Wii and we let our kids play on the weekends and if they don't have homework after school.

This weekend we had him over and he was a terror, he was screaming at my oldest and telling him that he was dumb because he couldn't play the game the "right" way. Every time he would die he would blame the other kids and throw a fit.

How do I approach her and explain without offending her?

mandic

Asked by mandic at 3:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• the next time he wants to stay i would tell her. this is why. there is no nice way to tell someone your kid is a brat.
    MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 3:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would just tell her what you observed . . . you can always phrase it like,

" I notice when the kids play, they are not nice to each other. Can we set some ground rules about name-calling and being nice? Also, when they are at my house, I will step in and stop the playing when it gets mean. I may even call you to pick thge kids up, so we can separate them."

You don't have to single out her son . . . . but, this way, you are telling her that there is a niceness issue. ANd, when they are over, do step in! Stop the games, say that name-calling is against the rules.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yep that is about it. Just tell her. and maybe have him standing there. Too, sound like she know it and dump him off on you for a rest. lol
    AMMA554

Answer by AMMA554 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree with the PP's. I would just straight up tell her, but in as nice a way as possible. I'd do it the next time she asked you to babysit. I'd say something like, "Sure, but we need to set some ground rules. The kids don't seem to be getting along, and I do not tolerate name-calling". I'd also ask her to explain it to him, since she's his mom. And to make sure you explain the game situation, and that you WILL step in. It's your house.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't tell her that you think he's rude. I would set rules and expectations for him at your house and deal with it whiles he is there. If you don't want him to come over you might want to tell her the kids are having problems getting along. I wouldn't put all the blame on her child.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree that you have to mold his behavior when he is in your home. Talk to him when he gets there and mention the rules. Have all the kids present to go over the rules. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Just deal with him when he is at your house. Explain your rules with the game and namecalling, and be clear about consequences for not following those rules, then enforce them. He will not have any problem understanding you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't just come out and say, "Hey, your kid is a rude brat." No way ANY momma would want to hear that. I would just set rules and if he doesn't follow them, then he has to face consequences. Make him follow the same rules as your kids when he is over. What would you do if YOUR children did or said those things? That's what you should do when HE does them. JMO, though :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd teach him the rules of my home. Kids learn quick. Let her deal with him being a little brat. At your house he can behave or go home.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• i would explain very calmly but point blank tell her the truth even if it does offend her but thats just me
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011