Is it true that if u have a degree...

It is easier to get higher pay even with out much expereince? I am going to have a associates in a field where most people just have a certificate.

I read on a site that I could get higher because to have a degree in this field I am "over educated"....so can I automatically expect to get top dollar as a recent grad?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 3:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• That's what I've heard.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It depends on the job. A degree definitely looks better, and may get you higher starting pay for many positions.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think that it really depends on the field and what is required to be successful in the job. Before having kids I worked as a Human Resource Director for a tech company. If I was looking to hire a computer programmer, than experience was more important than a degree but experience + degree was king. If I wanted to hire an adminstrative assistant than experience was far more important than any degree. If your AA is specific to the job than I would say that yes, you can negotiate from a stronger position than someone with simply a certification.
    Mrs.Ziggy

Answer by Mrs.Ziggy at 3:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Usually a degree AND experience get you the best pay. It really just depends on the company- what they think is more important.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• In this economy that is not the case.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 4:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It depends on the position and the company . . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned the hard way. I graduated with a BA and could not find a job at all. I finally found a basic office job at $8 an hour and worked my way up. No, I make hiring decisions and I interview people all day with Masters, Bachelors & Associates and do not hire any of them b/c they have no experience. But, I'll hire people all day with lots of experience and no college to back it up. If you want to use your associates, you need do like I did and start out with very low pay, just to get your foot in the door. Also, I'll interview people with Master's who have the experience, but they want way too much money b/c they have a Masters, yet won't get hired. I think the only time having a degree works is if its in nursing, a doctor, engineering, and law school. So, do not believe what you read and what school recruiters tell you.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree with zebbie, in this economy not always the case, some companies won't hire you if you are ''too qualified'', it's happened many times to me
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Not in this economy, my son graduated a year ago and all he has been able to find in his field is working for $10. an hour working for a local tv station, only part time. You got to start from the bottom of the line in any field and work yourself up.

Answer by older at 4:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I have a degree and I make more as a government contractor doing something completely unrelated to my degree. I make twice what I would in my chosen field.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011