My son is 2 and a half years old dose not listen ,talks back beats .up his little sister i dont knw what to do

my son is vert smart boy he just has really bad habitts he punchs talks bad dose not do what we tell him and my husdand dad think spacking work and i just think he get worst i dont know what to do

sophia29

Asked by sophia29 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well where did he learn this behavior?
    Anonymous

• well he got the behavior from my husband little bother but he no long in the picture now
    sophia29

Comment by sophia29 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• He does these things because you let him get away with it. At two yers old every action, good or bad, HAS to have a predictable consequence. If he hits his sister, he sits in time out for 2 minutes. Those two minutes do not start unless and until he's in your designated time out spot and quiet. If he mouths off he gets X punishment.

The key to happy 2 year old's is consistency, predictability, and letting them make a few choices.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• see that just the thing we dont let him get away with he get a little spank on the butt and getts up in his room and he dose not he'll go to it all over again
    sophia29

Comment by sophia29 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Try the time out. Your method is not working if he does it all over again. You might have to put him in the time out location over and over until he "gets it". Stay calm and matter of fact. No yelling, no anger. Plus praise him when he does things right and give him one on one positive attention often too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree, at that age time outs can be best. Spanking a baby, not so much. Mine is almost two, but when he does something hes not suppose to, I TAP his little hand. But he knows mom means No. You need to find what works for you. There is a very thin line between disciplining you child and abusing your child.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• try time outs and if that doesn't work try taking something that is his favorite away and tell him he will get it back when he stops this behavior
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 4, 2011