When did your kids ride a 2 wheeler-no training wheels?

My daughter just learned at 6 1/2!!! I honestly did not think she would learn today but daddy took them off and off she went! Her brother learned at 5 1/2butsheis more worried about falling but she did so awesome! Feel bad I doubted her...LOL I tried to teach her before age 6 and lets just say it did not go well! I am proud of her:)

hill2

Asked by hill2 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest was 3 1/2 when he learned. He was always on his bike and asked for us to take them off. My 2nd sone was 5. My girls are almost 5 and dont even have a bike, so they dont know how to ride with training wheels yet. We are going to try to get them bikes for their birthday in June, it all depends on our money situation.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• About 5. We started by taking off one training wheel at a time. It looked real stupid but I think it helped!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• DD was 5 1/2 and ds was almost 4. He was motivated by seeing his sister and friends ride around! It is all so different with each kid, DS 2 best friends still have training wheels, and one of dds' friends was 8 1/2 before she learned!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I always thought my son would be 8 before he learned....with my kids once they decided they were ready they leanred easily.
    hill2

Comment by hill2 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Ds was 4. He decided one day that he wanted his training wheels off, so I took them off. I was sure they'd have to go back on later that day, but I was wrong! He caught on very fast. Took maybe a half hour or so. Then our neighbor (his "girlfriend", also 4 then) wanted to do it, too, so she tried ds' bike before they took the training wheels off of hers...she had it in 5 minutes flat.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My son was 3 and my daughter was 5. They both love to ride their bikes everywhere!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Both my boys were four but my dd was scared so she didn't do it until age six and a half
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• around 4 or 5
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son was about a month from his 5th bday. This set off an explosion of kids wanting to do the same on our block lol. So within a weeks time my son, his two friends whom are a year older than him and my younger son who was not yet 4 all learned. My then 3 yr old turned 4 that Oct. He really just took off. We off set the training wheels so they can get a sense of balance then take them off.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son managed it the first time we tried aged 4 and my daughter aged 3. These days they say never use stabilisers just drop the saddlle to it's lowest and remove the pedals to teach balance. (or get them a 'balance bike') .This seems a great idea to me #wishtheyhadtheminmyday
    Hornet123

Answer by Hornet123 at 2:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2013