What would you do?

I am quite frankly disgusted with my mother. I am 20, she is turning 58, and my husband and I and my 2yr old son live with her. I received a settlement from my dads life insurance when i was 18. it was 64,000. i have nothing left of that. why? bc i pd all her bills and bought things for the house for one yr and it was gone. she wants me to pay her back for EVERYTHING she does. if she takes us all out to eat(herself obviously included) she wants money back. if she puts gas in the car for me (literally like $10 just enough for husband to get to work to get his check) she wants money back. she is a selfish awful person in my eyes bc she took advantage of MY money(my parents were divorced before he died, he died suddenly, she had no right to any of that money) now she expects reimbursement for EVERY dime she gives to me. it is pathetic. anyway my question is this-would you move out(as in yourself, husband, and children) the reason i am hesitant is that he has a court case going on right now there is a possibility he could go to prison for up to 1-2yrs. im not going to get into details here but its nothing violent or drug related. anyway would you move out or would u suffer here??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Get the hell out of there if I was you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• If you consider living with her suffering, move out, life is too short to live it in misery, as for that money, you are right it belonged to you not her.

Answer by older at 4:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd move out. It'll be a lot less exhausting.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Wow you really learned the hard way, sorry that it happened like that. Obviously you now know you cant trust your mother & that she is selfish. How long until court? Can you tough it out until then? I'd see what the results of court are first (if its not too far off) then move out. If your husband is locked away your son & you can get a super cheap studio but if he dosent then get a bigger place for you guys.

Sorry about your father & how it all went down.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Hmmm well id move or have a great big sit down your old enought o be on your own and so is hubby but if he goes away you will have to be able to do it all by yourself. pray pray pray
    graceblessedmom

Answer by graceblessedmom at 4:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• i don't work right now and our daughter is due in july so basically he'd be paying the bulk of the bills. especially rent. so that is my concern...it could be several months before a decision is made on his sentence or it could be soon
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• And when you move you take all the stuff you bought with you it is after all yours.
    graceblessedmom

Answer by graceblessedmom at 5:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• i bought the stove lol i should take it!!...that is so spiteful but yea =/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Well, first of all, you really shouldn't be living with her in the first place. Your husband, your child and you need to find a place of your own. I can see how she'd want some of the money to pay for the expenses of having the three of you living in her house, but to go through that much money.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Looks to ME, like she's trying to make you BE RESPONSIBLE!!! If you dont like her rules??? MOVE OUT! Go show her your capable of paying your own way 100% of the time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011