Does anyone know what a genetic survey is?

I have to have one with my US on the 5th. I know it's done intenally & takes about an hour, but curious as to whether it's much different than a regular US & what the differences are?

mommy81411

Asked by mommy81411 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• they have a newborn screening that test genetic after the baby and a triple something test clled the quad when you prego the first test for over forty genetic disoreder like pku the second for things like down syndrome
    graceblessedmom

Answer by graceblessedmom at 5:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• i agree with gaceblessedmom... if you dont undersatnd what the doctors are having you do, dont be afraid to ask... you arent going to look like an idiot or anything. if you dont understand how they explain it to you then reask, be honest with them if you dont understand, you can take a notebook with you to your apts, or a recorder so you can read or listen to the apt or how they explained somthing to you so when you get home and you have some extra time to focus, Or you forgot what they were talking about, you can re listen to what they said. it worked for me.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 2:32 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thx ladies. I know that it's done like a regular US it's just done vaginally & takes about an hr as opposed to the 20-30 minutes for a regular US. I'm just wondering what they check that's any different? Maybe it's a 3d instead of 2d.. guess I'll find out tmro! Hopefully I also find out whether boy or girl!!
    mommy81411

Comment by mommy81411 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011