How late do you let your kids play outside till?

do you let them stay out until dark if you have older kids?
do you make them come in even if its still light out?
what about younger children?

notjstasocermom

Asked by notjstasocermom at 5:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well, depending on the season, I want them in by 7pm. I have an 8 yr old and a 3 yr old.
    mamaxs4

Answer by mamaxs4 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My 5 and 7 until dark or 6pm which ever comes first. my 2 isn't allowed out without mommy.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I usually stay out til dinner time which is between 5 and 6.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Depends on the weather. If it's a nice warm summer day, DD (who is 5) can stay out until bedtime (9pm) if she likes. However, we live in the country off a private road and she's in a fenced in backyard that has locks on the gates. And we have flood lights on the top of our house that light up the entire back yard.

If it's like today (cold, damp air), I'll bring her in for dinner and not let her out again.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• 10pm is the official curfew here so the 16 and 14 yr old need to be home/picked up by then.

the 10 yr old isnt allowed to play out side (in the front) after dark.
    Anonymous

• When my children were young, they had to be in before it got dark.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Sunday to Thursday in by 6:00pm for my 9 yr old.

Friday and Saturday, before it gets dark, so was about 7:30pm but just had the daylight savings change so will more likely be about 6::30ish now.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 6:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My girls are 9 and 10 they have to be in at dark.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• They usually play until it gets dark. In the winter that can be between 5-7pm. By then it's too cold to be out after dark. In the summer they are usually out until 9pm (sun usually goes down right before that). By then they are exhausted and have to get in the bath because they are dirty and sweaty. If it's nice out and gets dark early (like a 70F day in winter) they stay out long past dark.
    They are 10, 9, 8 and 5. They are usually right in front of the house (our house seems to be the place to hang out) but sometimes they're still running up and down the street with their friends.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I have three kids and my oldest is almost 8. They are only allowed in the backyard, whether I'm inside or not. Usually they aren't outside after dinnertime, but if they are, we're outside with them. They come in when we come in.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011