my 3yr old boy..

is been having a temperature since thanksgiving but with no other signs - he is been acting complete normal. he spend it thanksgiving with his grandma..but they say he was complete normal. which he is as right now - he is playing games on my phone. complete my normal baby. but with a temperature in the 100's right now.
i am starting to think to bring him to the dr.. but then again it may not be a big deal and they may send me home with no answers. and else i dont have a car or license so i cant really bring him until my boyfriend gets home from work and clinic closes at 4 or 5 today.
do you beleive this is normal..or had your kids had this situation before?
mine hasnt this is first time so thats why am gettin worried.

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Doesn't sound normal for a 3 yr old to run a temp over a 100 for several days. Most likely it's a mild virus which would resolve itself. I'd say watch him closely, if his temp reaches 102 or becomes unmanageable w/ meds take him somewhere immediately.....otherwise you could try and wait for Monday to see if it resolves itself.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Just because he's acting normally doesn't mean he isn't sick...but that does sound weird. I'd at least CALL his pedi. Let them know he's acting normally, but that he's had the fever. Is anyone else sick? Does he usually run hot? No rashes, or runny nose, or ANYTHING? How's his appetite? It may be nothing, but then again... I'm sure they can give you better answers if you call them. Good luck and I hope it's nothing!
    crazywith4

Answer by crazywith4 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Take all his cloths off him, exept his underwear or diaper. I heard that helps to bring the temp down. Go to WEBMD.com to see how high is to high for a temp in a 3 year old. GL

Answer by louise2 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Tug on his earlobes a little bit one at a time, see if it bothers him. My oldest son always used to get a high fever when he was getting an ear infection. After about the 3rd time, that was how I knew he was getting an ear infection, and I'd just tug his earlobes to figure out which ear it was in. He'd always act totally normal as well.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• ear infection was my first thought too, if you have some Tylenol give him a little just to get the fever down ~ I'd take him to the doc when you can ~

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• if its just in the 100 I'd put him down to the least amount of clothes and just keep watching him to see if the fever gets high. other than that just let him be make sure he has plenty of liquids (do that ear infection test, nice suggestion tropical) and just observe. If he's still running a fever tom., take him in Monday. I usually wait 3-4 days b/f going to the dr. b/c it that's the cut off b/w virus and bacteria (unless they complain of a sore throat -- then I'm there cause we get strep aLOT)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My daughter was running a 104 fever back in May and acting 100% normal. I took her to the ER after tylenol and motrin couldn't bring the temp down and she had pneumonia. TAKE THAT KID TO THE ER!
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My daughter (2.5) had a fever for a couple days and we took her to the Doc who said this-
    a fever under 103 is the body fighting something off- and to LET the fever be during the day unless it gets over that mark or it is nighttime and you want to help them sleep with tylenol or something...
    We set her on the couch and let her sleep it off all day, and I'd give her water sips every chance I got...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2008