How do I stay fair during the holidays while still staying sane?

This will be our sons first holiday season. My family lives about 2 hours away, while my husband's family lives in town. They both want to see my son for the holidays. What we plan on doing is doing both families every year and switching off who will get early and who will get late. I can already tell this is going to make holidays very long and stressful! What is your advice on balancing holidays and keeping everything fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Holidays

• When I was little, the grandparent who lived in town had a special Christmas eve dinner w/ us, we did Christmas morning at home and left about 10am to make it to my other Grandparents that lived 3 hours away. Hope that helps. It's going to be a lot on your little one to do it all in one day like that and they probably won't get to see a very happy kid. W/ the Christmas Eve the way my parents sold it was that my Grandmother kept us at her house until Santa rode over her house (Grandpa jingling bells outside)....It was so special to us that it became a really special tradition for her and she didn't care about missing Christmas Day.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• To do it that way would be completely ideal for me. I just think that the in-laws would be very jealous. And I don't know if my husband would be very happy not to spend Christmas with his family. Very immature I know. I am going to try to get my husband on board with doing it this way. Your advice is great and I would love to start a tradition like that. It would sure make things a lot easier!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I would just be up front with them and give them your schedule. "This year we will be there at this time because we're going to his family's in the morning". You can only do what you can do and not everyone is going to end up happy, but that is ok. I went through the same thing with my daughter's birthday parties trying to fit everyone's schedules and availabilities. Finally I said "This is the day and time, if you can make it we would love to have you" and that was that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008