How do I handle an ADHD/ODD child?

Cindy9303

Asked by Cindy9303 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• By actually parenting. It blows the mind that these poor kids are "diagnosed" because parents refuse to be parents, or follow an AP philosophy and wind up with a spoiled brat that they can't deal with... so then they medicate it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Behavior management, sometimes special diet and with consistency and love. I wish there was a fix all for these issues, but it's a long, hard road. GL.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Change his diet. Pay attention to what you are feeding him. Red 40 and other artificial dyes make the behavior worse. Also add Omega 3 vitamins. My DS is a totally different child when I keep him away from red 40 and make sure he gets his vitamins. Be consistent in the discipline. Praise the good behavior. Don't listen to the morons who want to attack your parenting. It is easy to judge when your children doesn't have ADHD.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• There are ADHD specialists out there. Find one. I believe there is one on cafemom in fact. BTW I have learned that many causes are labeled ADHD and aren't, exhaust all possibilities.

Beyond that, lots and lots of patience and trial and error.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• O.k well some peaple don't have all the facts on adad. ( Start parenting) Is that not what most of us are doing. Mines 11 and I've tried everything. When she was young, teachers and docters told me to medicate. Didn't work for us but does work for some kids. So I took her off the meds and we started counsiling at our home as well as evaluations. Its a struggle everyday. If you need any advise or just to talk about youruggles you can send me a message
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Kimberly... It isn't for a lack of knowledge on the topic, it is because of it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Im learning as I go. My son is 8 yrs and was diagnosed at 6 years old. It is a learning process. Ive learned to discipline with consistency and REWARD REWARD REWArd the good behavior.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2011