Do you wash the clothes you donate to Goodwill?

I frequently shop at Goodwill {I have no shame (c:} and I had bought my girls some shorts for softball practices and to play in around the house. Once I got them home I inspected them before washing them (because you never know). Well I came across one pair and they had period blood on them. And I mean it was fresh too as in never washed. I tossed them, but it got me thinking, do you wash your donated clothes? I pick out the ones I will donate while I'm folding clothes and put them in a box I have set aside and when the box is full it's off to Goodwill.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 6:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes, we do. It amazes me at what people will donate. Our church used to run a community closet and we took donations. People would bring in dirty clothes that smelled terrible, socks with no matches, clothes that had holes and stains and once we even got a shoe with a mouse nest (and a bunch of baby mice) in it!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I NEVER donate dirty clothes.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't donate dirty clothes! My mom works at a Goodwill, and she has to go through the bins of stuff people donate. She said you wouldn't believe the things people donate.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• When we sort through our clothes to donate, yes we wash them first.
    That's totally gross what you found....I wouldn't have even donated that washed or not! yuck!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I NEVER donate unwashed clothes.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• If the clothes are dirty, I wash them before putting them in the donation bag.
    Cindy9303

Answer by Cindy9303 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yep! I always wash the kids clothes first before I sort them each spring/fall. I have piles for 'keep (and wear or store for next season), sell, donate and toss' . The donate items I do bag up and drop off right away.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Absolutely! If they wore them recently I wash them (as in they were in my dirty clothes lol). If they've been in their closet or drawer, I do not rewash them. Your experience is horrible! Who would do that?
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes. And I use the BEST liquid fabric siftener available.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 6:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I thought goodwill shops themselves had to wash them before putting them on the shelves? I do always wash them but I thought they had to too...
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 6:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011