Help with breastfeeding

My baby is eating fine, but since she was born I let her feed on both sides for 15 minutes, and she never de latched so, I would pull her off after she ate thirty minutes at first. Now shes two weeks old and ill let her eat for about 40. I've never let her just stop eating on her own, because she uses me as a pacifier. But she wont take just a regular pacifier, and ive tried all sorts of kinds.. Lately though ive been having a problem with her falling asleep. She will feed for ten minutes on one side, and then shes like passed out, and you cant get her to wake back up, until you lay her down for her to go to sleep. Then shes wide awake and im pulling my breast out all over again. I do this several times, and honestly its just a pain in the behind. especially when im trying to go to bed at night. or in the middle of the night. ive tried to bottle feed her, but the bottles i have must go to fast because she finished 2 oz. in under 2 minutes, and thats without latching on to the bottle. any help or advice is much appreciated.

shannonrenee09

Asked by shannonrenee09 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shannon: You have a normal baby. What she's doing is all good. Toss your clocks, nurse on demand and count those dipes... you are doing GREAT!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You're probably not going to like what I have to say.... but a pacifier is an artificial replacement for the breast. It is natural for babies to suckle at the breast for comfort, and it also cues milk production. A breastfed baby should be fed on demand for as long as they care to nurse, this ensures a steady good milk supply. Also, co-sleeping is a lifesaver, and a sleep-saver when you're breastfeeding.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It is pretty normal for a breast-fed newborn to be at the breast alot . . . . they are trying to increase your milk supply, bond, soothe . . . all of these things is what the breast is good for. A lot of us were attached by the breast to our babies for many, many months, and it is hard sometimes, I know.

Not everyone is cut out for traditional breast-feeding, so it is awesome that we have choices! If you are feeling not-so-comfortable with the demands, you have other options. You can pump exclusively, and keep tons of milk in bottles, ready-to-go, or you can use formula.

Whatever choice you make is the best choice for you and baby.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I used to change their diaper after one side if they were sleeping. It woke them up and allowed me to nurse on the other side. You also might try just rubbing the bottom of her feet to encourage her to keep nursing and unwrap her if she is bundled up in a warm blanket. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The first few months are such a learning experience for both mom and baby. My mom told be to give it three months before both of us got the hang of it. I was like, "It can't seriously take that long!", but it does. She will eventually stop the constant nursing, remember she's not used to being outside of the womb yet so being close to you is important for her to feel secure. Don't feel bad about trying give her a pacifier or a bottle. I asked my pediatrician about comfort nursing (because my daughter doesn't do it, but that's because I have an overactive let down reflex). I was worried that she didn't comfort nurse and he said it not necisarrily a good thing for babies to associate food wit comfort, sucking yes, but food no. Anyway, I am kind of rambling, but the main thing I wanted to get across is to not let anyone make you feel like a bad mother for the decisions you make, like whether or not to use a pacifier.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 6:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You don't mention how old the LO is so I will base my answer on her being fairly newborn. Newborns NEED to comfrot nurse to tell mom's body to produce more milk. You should NEVER time a nursing baby and you should ALWAYS allow them to feed until they are done. Removing her from your breast does a couple things. It cues your body to stop making milk and it also keeps her from getting all the fattier hindmilk that she needs. My doc said to give exclusive breastfeeding at least 3 months try and then see what I wanted to do after that. As for the falling asleep that is very normal too. My first born was horrible for that. I would nurse him on one side until he fell asleep and then change his diaper and if need be put a cool wash cloth on his belly to wake him again and then let him nurse on the other side and then put him down to sleep. At night cosleeping or at least sleeping in the same room is a HUGE lifesaver at first
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• How often is she eating? how old is she?
    After 6 weeks I try to get my kiddos to eat every 4 hours...sometimes it works sometimes not so much....just stick to whatever you choose and she'll get used to it :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My LO would do this....not to the extent of yours because she would use a pacifier. I would just let her nurse and sleep, nurse and sleep during the day (our sessions could last 1 1/2 hours) in our nursing chair while I read a book. I was a little bit of a pacifier, but that is what she needed I guess. I miss those days now because she NEVER falls asleep while nursing at 8 mo. I would use the ending time and feed her anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hrs later or when she wanted. At night we were up every 2 hours pretty much for the first 5 months. I didn't co-sleep, but my cousin did with her 2 boys and it worked our great because they feed whenever they needed to and no one had to get up. You have to do what works for you. If you are a SHM realize that this is such a short amount of time in the scheme of things and catering to their needs when infants will create a more stable individual when grown.
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I have a 2 month old and I can tell you she WILL CHANGE :) sorry I know that is hard to hear, I just had people telling me that too :)

But you two are still learning at this thing, so expect to pull the boob at whenever needed...lol. I still do.

As far as the paci goes, I was worried too, my dd did NOT want one either. I kept trying...then one day at 4 weeks old. She just took one and that was that....she loves it now! so keep trying :)

Just try giving it to her when she is calm or sleepy, not when she is screaming.

Just try to be patient and it will sort of smooth itself out over time. Sorry I cant be of more help!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Sometimes we would tickle the bottoms of my son's feet or even use a wet cloth (gently) to keep him awake when he needed to be awake. Have you talked to a lactation consultant in your area or found a local La Leche LEague? I was not a long-term breastfeeder but friends who were swore by these resources.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011