How much do you spend on a typical vacation?

I think our "big trips" are usually between $750 - $1500 depending on if we drive or fly and where we are going. Usually we try to keep it right around $1000, and do one big trip a year. We also usually do a couple "overnight" trips that cost about $250 when we get the chance.

Before we had kids, we would try to go to Japan every year or every other year because his family is there...but my god that was expensive!

I love getting to travel, but when I look at the numbers I wonder if we are wasting money. Egh.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Travel

• Since I am here in Guadalajara Mexico, It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive so usually for a 10 day all inclusive 5 star resort in a 2 bedroom suite
    Dh, dd, ds, nanny and me a little over 700 usd
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We spend between 5 and 6 thousand. Air Fair to Italy to see the family is NOT cheap. If we just go up north for family here in the US it's only about a thousand or so, including gas.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• under $1000 WITH airfare????

How????

I have a family of 5 and lets say we just go on a 30 min. flight for the weekend.... airfare = $500, hotel for 2 nights $400-$600, and we havent even eaten, paid for a rental car/taxi, or done anything.
    Anonymous

• No...sorry...with airfare it is usually $1500, but I have been really turned off to flying with kids after our last experience, so we try to drive.

But we NEVER spend that much on hotels. Usually closer to $100 a night.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We have recently been trying to figure out how much we should spend on a vacation and what we have found when visiting family in new york we pay between 400-700 for a hotel for 4-5 nights. Plus boarding our two dogs which is about 300 and then we usually drive its about a 10 hour drive and then we dont usually spend money on food because we are eating with family for the most part so i'd say 1500 but I've been pricing other vacations and we are spending more like 3000 for a vacation.
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We cruise at least once a year and we typically spend around $4K or so for the 4 of us...when we go on small trips for Dh and I to run in races, we typically spend around $300-$400 depending on where we are headed. We also go to Florida several times per year as my mom and IL's live 7 miles from each other down in central FL. We don't have to spend on a hotel or anything- just eating out and gas.
    We are planning a trip to China in a few years and we are anticipating at least $10-$12K for it. We do not want to fly coach again especially with 2 kids and we plan on being there for a couple of weeks.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We only do driving vacations and we are cheap. We probably only spend $300-$400 and there is 4 of us.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011