Calling all Vegan Moms

How do you do it? Is your SO vegan? Do you raise your children vegan? If not how do you adjust your meal preperation? Do you get resistance from family and friends? Support? Tell me your story...

Elysium927

Asked by Elysium927 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Health

• I refused to raise my daughtyer vegan, my DH at the time was vegan & wanted to raise her that way. Too many risks IMO. His son was vegan & malnourished. He eventually had to start eating some thing that were not technically vegan. BUT, he was super picky...that makes the world of difference. He is 13 now & no longer malnourished. He does not eat meat.

My DD is completely vegetarian though, has never eaten meat. I'm Hindu though, so i am a big advocate of GOOD dairy. We get our milk locally from someone we know. Lucky us! Some people can do it, but it was too hard for me. My Pediatrician advised me against it, so i went with his word. He said vegetarian is fine, that there is protein in everything these days.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My kids and hubby are not vegetarian but I am. I make different meals, usually.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I was vegan brieftly before I got married and had kids but I stopped. It wasn't because I didn't have the willpower, it was because there just wasn't a lot of options especially when eating out. So I became a vegetarian but I'm still semi-vegan too. Dh wasn't vegetarian when we married and Ididn't force him to become vegetarian but over time(about 6 years) he came to realize how really unhealthy meat is. So now he chooses to be vegetarian too. It's also cheaper to be vegetarian. Neither of our 2 kids have ever had meat. When we eat other animal products, we make sure they aren't bad for us.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• When my son is sick, getting sick, or recovering from being sick (he has food allergies but I'm referring to bouts of asthma, and horrible croup he gets whenever he gets a common cold) I put him onto strict vegan, wean back to vegetarian and eventually back to carnivore which is where he desires to be. He's a meat eater to his core. HOWEVER, he loves blackbean burgers, hummus, all nut butters, and when I buy edamame he eats it faster than I can pop them out of the shells.

My MIL is very unhelpful and nonsupportive. She wants him fattened up even though my family is obese and hubby has fatty liver disease
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2011