3 year old refuses to eat

My 3 year old refuses to eat. Whenever we try to feed him he takes a few small bites and says hes done. His eyes lately are black and blue and hes super skinny. The Dr. says there isnt anything wrong, but i think when you can see your kids ribs and almost the bumps of his backbone there is. We keep trying to get him to eat but he just flat out refuses. We tried all his favorite foods and everything. idk what to do. anyone else been threw this?

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 6:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try Pediasure, smoothies, Carnation instant breakfast. I would also get a second opinion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd get a second opinion I know sometimes toddlers eat very little for a few days than pig out like crazy but this sounds more serious
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Will he drink? You might need to get creative with meals and offer things like fruit smoothies and add in things like spinach and protein powder and such. And also things like pedisure... it's not ideal that he drink his meals but for now it might be the only way.

Also try to get him involved in cooking and making his own meals... sometimes helping makes the meal more fun.

Offer small frequent snacks.... things like fruit, veges, cheese, yogurt

I would also see if you can get an appointment with a pediatric nutritionist... maybe they would have some ideas.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• yea. i was thinkin bout pedisure. he atleast drinks. but eatin is a nono. he like hates it. hes never showed signs of being in pain or uncomfortable and his bowels are fine. idk its weird
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would get a second opinion especially if he has LOST weight recently. In the meantime I would do things like pediasure and smoothies with protein powder etc to get some nutrition in him. Generally they will eat when they are hungry, but it sounds like he is not even doing that. As for seeing ribs and what not my son has always been skiny and you can see his ribs pretty clearly, but he consistently gains weight and is seemingly healthy otherwise so we are not worried, but weight loss and the dark eyes etc worry me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011