Have any successful surrogate moms had issues w/ miscarriage in the past?

I'm very interested in becoming a surrogate but I've had 4 early term miscarriages, all while under 6 weeks pregnant. I've since had a very healthy baby boy and a very normal pregnancy with no complications. I had testing done to find out the cause of the miscarriages (usually after 3 consecutive miscarriages doctors will test you) and all my results came back normal and there was no explanation for them. My doctor told me that studies have shown that almost 50% of early pregnancies end in miscarriage and a lot of women don't ever realize they were pregnant because it's so early, which would have been the case with me if I hadn't taken pregnancy tests because we were trying. I've wanted to become a surrogate for a couple who can't have children on their own since I was pregnant with my son but I'm wondering how much of an issue my previous miscarriages would be, even though they are common and there was no specific cause for mine. Also I want to add that I don't want to do this just for the money. I would consider doing it for a family if they will just cover my medical costs.

Court128

Asked by Court128 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Adoption

• Everything that I know and have read says that if you've had multiple miscarriages, which you have, you're not a good candidate for surrogacy. I understand what you're wanting to do, but you'd likely be considered an undesirable candidate given your miscarriages.

If a woman has a history of pregnancy related medical complications, she is most likely not a good candidate for surrogate pregnancy. Here are a few conditions that would warrant further investigation:

# premature birth
    # multiple miscarriages
    # pre-eclampsia
    # placenta previa
    # gestational diabetes
    # ectopic pregnancy
    # conditions requiring full bed rest

Having one or two prior miscarriages is usually not a problem, as long as there are not other overwhelming complications or surrogacy issues present.

Source : http://www.information-on-surrogacy.com/surrogate-mother-wanted.html

Good luck! =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• thanks!
    Court128

Comment by Court128 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Surrogate Program Requirements

Please review the following minimum qualifications to become a surrogate mother in our program.

* Be between the ages of 20-40
    * Have given birth to at least one child
    * Have had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries
    * Have a BMI 19-33 (BMI calculator)
    * Be in a stable living situation
    * Have the support of spouse or partner (when applicable)
    * Not be on public assistance
    * Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
    * Be able to pass a background check
    * Be willing to take medications via injection
    * Not smoke or take illegal drugs, or be exposed to second hand smoke
    * Be willing to refrain from alcohol throughout the pregnancy
    * Not have any sexually transmitted diseases
    * Enjoy pregnancy

Source : http://www.eggdonorsurrogacyusa.com/surrogate_become.php
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Interesting; here you go again :

Healthy Previous Pregnancy

Most surrogacy agencies will only work with women who have already delivered at least one healthy child, according to Surrogacy Solutions, LLC . Fertility and pregnancy are different for each woman, and the easiest way for an agency or couple to determine if a woman can carry a baby to full term is to choose a surrogate who has already done so. Couples who choose surrogates on their own, without an agency, may chose whomever they like, but women applying to agencies generally must have successfully completed a pregnancy.

Source : http://www.livestrong.com/article/107589-surrogate-mother-requirements/
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• In short, you probably wouldn't qualify to work with an agency, but obviously you can become a surrogate mother without one. The couple would have to choose you. I still have to say proceed with caution if you choose to do that. 4 miscarriages is a relatively high number, and I can't imagine putting a family through one who obviously wants a child so badly.

Okay, I am done. That's all the info I have time to look up. GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thanks for your help!
    Court128

Comment by Court128 (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• As PP said, the likelihood of you getting to work through an agency is slim to none, and even getting chosen as an independent surrogate probably won't happen. Think of it this way: The couples who pay for surrogacy also have to pay for sperm and egg harvesting (even more if they have to use others' sperm/eggs) and all the other extra costs of in vitro, in addition to paying rent for your uterus, so to speak. So they're not likely to want to go with someone who has had several miscarriages, whether there was a reason for it or not, because they would feel like they have a very good chance of basically flushing money down the drain. That's how I would feel if I were in their shoes, anyway.

But by all means, try. You may get lucky, you may be exactly what a couple is looking for. It's a great gift to give, and if you want to give it, there's no reason not to at least try and see what happens. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2011