People asking if my sons potty trained is getting me down , am i in the wrong ?

ok so my sons 2 and a half i have always said i would have my son potty trained by 3!. my son is hyper i started him at nursery cause he hyper . i asked them to help me and they told me there no way to potty train him yet well help you when he 3 . he never sits down and runs everywhere so i just got him in pull up . but all my hubby family keep asking if he potty trained and its getting me down and we not talking about normal hyper we talking about hyper hyper

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're not in the wrong. You know your child and his capabilities and there is no sense pushing him if he's not ready- that will just set him up to fail and make things harder in the long run. There is always that person who had their kid trained at 16 months, or nursed twins exclusively for two years, or never had to ground their teenager, etc. out there to make us feel like we aren't keeping up with other parents but that's all just nonsense. What matters is doing what's right for your kids. My MIL asks me about training, too. I think she just wants me to start and I want to make sure I have several days to devote to training and I don't just do it half-ass. That's my choice and what I think is right for my family. You just have to brush the other opinions off, even if they're from family, because as long as you have children someone is always going to have something to say about something no matter what you do. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd relax about it. If it helps, my daughter is almost 3 and is only poop trained on the potty. She has really has no interest and when I push, it gets worse. She's not hyper at all, she just likes to do things when she's ready.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• He will train when he is ready. Just tell people that if they bother you.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Do potty training when you are ready and not before!! Tell family he will not be in diapers when he goes to high school and for them to not worry about it! It is not their problem. Have you asked a doctor about the hyperactivity? Just wondering..........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• someone will always say you should have them trained by now unless they are trained exceptionally early. Most boys are JUST HARD! Also we work with them to train them but they need to be ready or you will be frustrated with no progress. My son was like 3 and 4mos when he got pee down and poop OMG was like 4 1/2! All kids are different and go with the signs.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I noticed everyone else answered about the adhd and it bothering you when people ask if he's potty trained but not how to train him.

Put him on the potty chair evey 10-15 mins for a day. 2nd day every 20-25. 3rd every 30 mins. He will start to realize if he has to go. pull ups are great and same with underwear, but no diaper! you could also try a potty seat for the big toilet. if he wont do it stp and wait a month. its time consuming but its a must! good luck
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• my daughter is hyper hyper hypert oo
    she is three and a half
    can go pee when has no clothes on and close to potty
    ANY clothes on, and she pees in them

she has autism
    so i remember that she has her own time schedule

you say son is hyper hyper...has he seen a doctor for eval??
    just a thought

no way i could put my daughter on a potty for my schedule (all her therapists agree- she is not ready yet, but we are encouraging her)

maybe your sone has some issues? have an eval done with medical professsionals, if you say hyper beyond-could have some issues to address
    Anonymous

• Just think of it this way. It took him sometime to learn how to walk didn't it? It took some time before he learned how to raise his head, roll over, crawl, even sit up! So tell them it takes time for kids to learn how to use the potty. Don't worry! He's not going to high school still in diapers. He will learn! It takes time and patience on your part. Sometimes influence from other kids helps encourage him though. Just a small tip.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• you have to find a way to get him to sit still on the potty or you wont get him trained, its not like his hyperness will just disappear in the next 3yrs.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• maybe your sone has some issues? have an eval done with medical professsionals, if you say hyper beyond-could have some issues to address
    ===
    Way to make her feel better! Her son does not have issues! My daughter was potty trained by the time she was three. It's not an issue, it just takes time.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2011