Mattress Cover???

In about 4 weeks we are traveling to a vacation rental. I have never stayed anywhere but a hotel. I had some concerns but looking at the website for the rentals and the pictures everything looks very clean. However I did find out (very crafty on my part) that they do not have any kind of slip cover or mattress cover on the mattress but they do have slip covers on the pillows. Kind of weird and makes me kind of grossed out. I realize many people stay in bed and breakfast and similar places and probably do not know if they have mattress protectors or not. Would this gross you out. What would you do? It is a pricey rental and all the reviewers keep talking about how clean it is.

There are washing machines and dryers on site, so I am planning on stripping the beds bringing a mattress cover and then washing the sheets and remaking the bed. I am also going to go over the pillow slipcovers with antibacterial wipes and then put new cases on them. Kind of a lot of work but I am a germophobe. I just don't get why they would not put something on the mattress. I mean if I strip the beds and see badly stained mattresses, I am going to freak. I am hoping the mattresses are cleaned but I don't know what else to do at this point. Any ideas? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Travel

• just bring or buy a can of lysol and spray everything in the room. that will make u feel better. i do that when i go to hotels. i spray mattress, toilet, sink, shower, door knobs, tiles in bathroom, carpet in room etc etc. you could spray then go grab a bite to eat while the spray mist settles.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I don't blame you for wanting to check things out. I don't go to that extent for the beds but I do have to wash all the dishes right away when we rent a place. I have never seen mattress covers anywhere we have rented.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thanks Gwen, I do plan on bringing lysol with me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Your best bet is to look online for the reviews of the Bed and Breakfast (or hotel) and pay close attention to what the people who stayed there have to say about what they found. Call the management and find out what to expect as well. My husband was a germaphobe, and it just became our standard practice to pack a set of sheets, pillows, mattress cover, etc... He even insisted on bringing our own towels and wash cloths. It was more to pack and haul around, and it took him the extra mile to find out what to expect when he got there (mattress size for example). It was a pain for me the first few times I admit, but after a while I got used to routine and found that it helped him relax easier and therefore make our vacations more enjoyable for both of us.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 8:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• elizabr--The rentals that did not have mattress covers did you just leave them as is or did you get a cover. Were the mattresses stained? They do have new kitchens with dishwashers and I will throw everything in and wash when we get there.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• you could just buy a matress cover....they don't cost that much. that way you wouldn't be worrying about it. you could also bring your own pillow covers if you want too. usually you know what size the bed is going to be so it shouldn't be an issue.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Pinwheel, I did check the reviews and they are raving about the staff and cleanliness. I think the problem is that when I stay in high end hotels I find they have to follow standards and I don't have to double check everything, although I do remove the bedspreads immediately and check the sheets to make sure they are unstained and fresh. However, in the rental I am more cautious as it is privately owned and so I just cannot believe to keep their mattresses cleaned they would not have mattress covers. I mean what if a woman got her period early or something and bled all over. Little kids can wet the bed, etc... Just cannot believe they would cover the pillows and not the mattresses.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Princess that is what I am planning on doing, but being the germophobe I am, I am so afraid when I strip the bed to put the cover on that if it is stained I will just freak the heck out. LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Just saw your question..............No, we never bought a mattress cover. They always appeared to be in good shape. I love the Lysol idea. I might start doing that.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 AM on Apr. 4, 2011