What are the risks of wearing a nursing bra with underwire while breastfeeding? I've heard it can cause clogged ducts etc etc but I need the support!! Help!

stachlermom

Asked by stachlermom at 9:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wore them the entire time. I am a natural 36 G. When I was nursing, I went up to an I at my largest.

I never had any problems. You just have to remember to pump them dry if baby doesn't do it for you. That is how I kept from getting any clogged ducts. I also nursed using different positions so that all of the ducts were getting drained.

At least, that is what I'm sticking too since I've only had one and this worked for me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I never had any problems. But I also didn't wear a bra at night.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I didn't have any trouble wearing underwire. However, I didn't wear a bra when I was home, so maybe that "time off" for my boobs helped?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thats helpful! I have only pumped empty a couple times and she's almost 5 months...she has me regulated really well but I never empty! I'm a 36D and want underwire but I'm just afraid to try it....I guess I'll give it a shot and watch for symptoms!
    stachlermom

Comment by stachlermom (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I nursed my three children for over one year each and have never had any problem. At night, I wore a wireless and days wore an underwire. Just make sure you get measured for a good fit and you should be fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• As long as it is properly fitted, it will be absolutely fine. Go to a Medela retailer and get a proper fitting so that you KNOW how it is supposed to fit, then find something you like.
    While I was nursing I was a 34 D/E, I couldn't go without an underwire.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You already wrote the one risk in your question. It CAN cause clogged ducts. You can try it. If you get clogs, the bra goes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• OK! I think I'll give one a shot and see how it goes. Thanks girls!
    stachlermom

Comment by stachlermom (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2011