What are all the nick names a child named Katherine could have?

We are naming our baby Katherine, and we know of Kate, Kat, Kathy...what about Katie? Is that one?

And can you think of any mean names that people might call her?

Last name is Pengelly...if that isn't reason enough to make fun of a kid! LOL

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Baby Names

• Yes, Katie is one of them.
    Also
    Kay, Kitty, Kit

I have also heard KitKat.

My ex husband had an aunt named Katherine and everyone called her Reenie.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes, Katie is one. I love the nickname Kat. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I have a good friend named Katherine, we call Kate. My other friend Katherine is called Kat. Most common of course would be Kathy, (that's my moms name). I think Katie would be ok if you wanted to call her that. It's a nice name, maybe consider C instead of K... It's less common.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 10:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes I have a cousin named Katheryn and we call her Kate and Katie. I call her Katie lady, I have ever since she was born.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I cant think of any mean names. I have (different) cousins with the last name of JELLY. Kids will be kids and find mean names no matter what the name is. My name is Amber I used to be called Amber Pampers, why I have NO Idea. LOL
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I asked my grand daughter (10) what she would think the kids at school would tease and call her.... she thought for moment, then said "Katherine Pengelly is too smelly!" Sorry. Ten year olds. (Sigh) Personally I like the name Katherine if it means anything.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 10:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• LOL @ pinwheel - the poor lady can't change the last name!

I think Katherine is a fine name lacking in bad nicknames.
    Anonymous

• My name is Katherine but I have always been called Kathy. I have never been called any "bad" nick names due to my name just a few silly ones by my brother & my dad... they have always called me Therinski. I can't really think of any mean or bad nick names stemming from the name Katherine.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I know quite a few Katie's who are Katherine's. I also like Kitty as a nickname for Katherine. And really Pengelly is a good last name, not too much room for teasing. My cousins last name is Hogg which is said Hoe-g not hog like the swine but well, yeah...hog was the winner on teasing.
    Anonymous

• I hadn't thought of Kitty. Gotta say, I don't hate it. LOL

@pinwheel...don't worry about it. Kids are way more creative than we are! LOL

And Pengelly isn't nearly as bad as Tubbs when the family is NOT thin. One of the ladies I know is big, and she married a man with the last name Tubbs...you can't help who you love, but man...you would know you were just signing yourself up for a punchline. Egh! I feel so bad for her.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2011