Driving me nuts

My 2 year old is driving me nuts.
If she doesn't get her way, she has a meltdown.
I can't handle it. Tried distracting her, tried calming her down, tried time out, tried spanking...nothing works.

She will yell and scream at me...

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have Cable tv see if you can find the show Super Nanny, she deals with this kind of thing all the time. I think she is on tonight, Im not positive though. You can also look her up online. She says the main thing is to be consistant and dont Talk to the child when they are in time out, just keep putting them back there. Good luck!
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Ignore the child when they do this. No one likes to be ignored. Dont even acknowledge her in any way. She will learn fast your not giving her ANY attention and will stop.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We put our children in their own rooms and shut the door until they calm down (or pass out) Then we can safely talk. It goes like this..
    "okay_____ mommy put you in your room because you threw a fit. We are big kids and big kids don't do that, right? We aren't going to throw fits again are we? Now, you were in trouble because of_______. That is bad behavior and we are good boys/girls, right? We aren't going to do that again are we?"
    Then big hugs and snuggle time to help reinforce "good kid" behavior.

I snap my fingers to the side if their attention wonders but this is the only thing that has worked with all my kids.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• With my stepdaughter I do a time out chair. If she starts fussing and acting out the tv goes off (if she's watching it) and she has to go sit at the table for 2-3 mins (she's almost four). After the timer goes off we talk about why she had to sit in the chair. I'm pro-spanking but with her not being "my" child I don't feel comfortable doing it. Her mother and father both do with slightly better results than time outs.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 10:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Ignore the child. Eventually they will see that what their doing isn't working and will not get them what they want.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 12:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• just walk away and don't give in to her and she will realize that mom isn't going to put up with that behavior Good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011