Need help with getting a 3 year old to eat.

My 3 tear old granddaughter will not eat meals. She wants to snack but even then it's little bits. My DD is at wits end getting Camilla to eat. It's a fight to get hre to sit at a table, to do
anything she's told to do, she constantly tackles her little brother who is 1 1/2 . Any suggestions would be of great help.

WAganma56

Asked by WAganma56 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD likes to snack too, so what I did was set up her "meal" in different bowls and made it like snack time a little. She is 17 months, and is in the dipping stage, so even if "I" wouldn't dip an apple in ketchup, she will and will be pleased to do so. So I do for breakfast: scrambled eggs, grapes, toast sticks w/ cinnamon, all on in different plastic bowls. For lunch, cheese stick, pb&J triangles, black olives, and mandarin oranges, and for dinner, broccoli, corn, and chicken fries (french fry chicken fingers). Just examples of what she likes. Hope this helps.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 10:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'd be very careful about how much sugar intake they have just before and during a meal, with BEVERAGES. Fruit juice, milk, chocolate milk, anything else can give their tummies a false sense of being full. Happened with my first son, now 15 and 6 feet tall (!). He was looking a little pale, and skinny, then I realized he was drinking a LOT of chocolate milk. Switched to Ovaltine, and only for midmorning and mid afternoon snack, and he gained three pounds in a week.

I have an extremely picky 5 yo eater right now. I push protein. A spoonful of peanut butter to dip apples in, cheese and crackers where he can stack them himself, soy milk, everything is aimed at his protein intake. If yours is a dipper -- like to dip their food...if you provide a few dipping sauces or ingredients, they might eat more.
    Laura_Lee

Answer by Laura_Lee at 9:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• AHHH!! One more thing...my oldest son used to dip his green beans in jetchup. Sounds gross, but he LOVED it and would eat them!! My little one dips chicken nuggets in pancake syrup. I checked, and it doesn't have any more sugar than the other dipping sauces you can get. Just a little extra to make it go down easy!
    Laura_Lee

Answer by Laura_Lee at 9:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• play restaurant,let them decide what id for dinner,and you tell them if its healthy or not,for many years i cooked 3 different meals.Mine and my husbands,and the kids .I would always add carrot sticks and celery,then chicken breasts strips and veggies.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My Daughter is 3 1/2 and the same way. One day she will eat decently, but another day she will not even like the food she just ate a few days ago. She likes to snack alot as well, but I try my best not to let her unless she has ate dinner or whatever, which here lately is not common. I attempt to get her to eat but it is hard. So for now she has been refusing and I will let her and my mom tells me she will eat when she gets hungry enough, but it makes me feel bad cuz I know the poor thing must be starving. It's like she wont set downl long enough to eat I donno what to do. I have also been giving her the pedisure drinks to make up for some of the nutritional loss. I am sorry this doesnt help you at all, but Im right there with ya and dont know what to do!
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 5:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Take everyday foods that you can use a cookie cutter on and turn the foods into a shape, letters on favor carrtoon Make them look different. Also By doing that you can sneak new foods in there. Make ants on a log, let her put the rasies (sp) on..there are all kinds of fun things you can do. You can also look for kid friendly cookbooks and invole her in helping you make the meal/snack!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My DD would want to sit down to eat but would snack through out the day. I would fix things that wouldn't spoil as easy. and if they would just put it in the fridge when I thought she was done. If she got hungry it would be ready for her to get herself. At meal times she had to sit with us untilwe were done eating if she didn't want to eat right then and there. She'll it when she's hungry. It's just a phase. Good Luck.
    smileynikki712

Answer by smileynikki712 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If she is not eating at meal time, cut back or cut out snacks. Filling up on snacks may be the reason why she has no room for meal time. Keep snacks small and simple if needed. They are not meal replacements. No pressure! Maybe she is feeding off of the attention she is getting from NOT eating. Instead, offer the food & if she doesn't eat it, clear her plate - do not give snacks before the next meal. When she asks for a snack say "you didn't eat all of your lunch, so now you have to wait until dinner" Stick to your guns - she'll get the message in a few days, maybe less. She may be in between growth spirts at the moment, in which case, she will be less hungry. Offer smaller amounts at meals and allow for her to ask for more rather than not being able to finish.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 10:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've been told by pediatricians to just let them go, that they will eat when they get hungry. SOme children go through phases where they don't want this or that, or only want this or that.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 10:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They will eat when they are hungry. Just make sure what they are eating has the nutrients they need.
    Holland04

Answer by Holland04 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2011